February 16, 2023 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 23V094000
Seat Belt Pretensioners May Explode
An exploding seat belt pretensioner can project metal fragments into the vehicle, strike vehicle occupants, and result in injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V094
Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America
Components SEAT BELTS
Potential Number of Units Affected 65,517
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2020-2023 Genesis GV80, 2021-2023 Genesis G80, 2022-2023 Genesis GV70, and 2023 Genesis GV60 vehicles. In the event of a crash, the front driver-side and/or passenger-side seat belt pretensioners may explode upon deployment.
Dealers will secure the seat belt pretensioners with a cap, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed April 17, 2023. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai’s number for this recall is 012G. This recall supersedes and expands recall number 21V-796. Vehicles previously repaired under recall 21V-796 will need to have the new remedy completed.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Check if your Genesis has a Recall
RECALL 012G ATTACHMENT A
CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO DEFECT DECISION
❖ On October 7, 2022, Hyundai received the agency’s Information Request letter pertaining to RQ22003, an investigation into allegations of abnormal seat belt pretensioner deployments in vehicles associated with Recalls 21V-796, 22V-069, 22V-123, 22V-218, 22V-354, and 22V-458*.
❖ On October 24, 2022, NASO convened its North American Safety Decision Authority (“NASDA”) and initiated Recall 22V-816.
November – December 2022
❖ In November 2022, the airbag control unit (“ACU”) from the September 2021, North Carolina incident referenced in earlier chronologies* was recovered for analysis of the crash pulse parameters by HMC and the supplier, Samsong.
❖ On December 7, 2022, Hyundai submitted its response to the agency’s inquiry regarding RQ22-005. Hyundai cited in its response that it was continuing to evaluate vehicles equipped with Samsong pretensioners that had not yet been recalled despite not having received any domestic or foreign reports of the alleged defect involving these vehicles.
January – February 2023
❖ On January 17, 2023, HMC informed NASO of its findings from continued analysis of the ACU crash pulse data recovered from the North Carolina incident. HMC confirmed that the MGG separated despite a lower pretensioner “time-to-fire” when compared to the other known incidents.
❖ On January 26 and February 2, 2023, HMC provided updates regarding its investigation to NASO. HMC confirmed replication of MGG separation during recent sled testing using RS4 (G90) SRS components. The test results prompted a reevaluation of leading factors, such as vehicle-specific “time-to-fire,” previously thought to be potential contributors to over-pressurization of the pretensioner pipe.
❖ On February 9, 2023, NASO convened its North American Safety Decision Authority (“NASDA”).
❖ Although no concern was observed in North American markets, based on the recent findings by HMC, and in an abundance of caution, NASO decided to conduct a safety recall (012G) of Genesis G80, GV60, GV70, and GV80 vehicles equipped with pretensioners without a vent valve. Recall 012G supersedes Recall 009G, obsoleting all affected population(s) of Recall 211/009G (21V-796).
❖ Hyundai is not aware of any abnormal pretensioner deployment incidents in the global market involving the subject vehicles, including fatalities, injuries, crashes, and fires.
*For supporting chronological events preceding October 2022, please refer to Hyundai’s Part 573 defect information report concerning Recalls 231 and 238.
Recall 009G Seat Belt Pretensioner May Explode – 2021 Genesis GV80 & 2022 Genesis GV70
Recall 009G Seat Belt Pretensioner May Explode – 2021 Genesis GV80 & 2022 Genesis GV70
10 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Attachment A – Chronology
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Amended Attachment A – Chronology
Latest Recalls Documents
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 🚘【ABS & SRS SYSTEMS DIAGNOSES FREE】Thinkcar SF100 OBD2 Scanner supports 2 main system diagnostics, including Air Bag and ABS system. ✔ Anti-Brake System Diagnosis (ABS): Retrieve ABS codes to tell you where the problem is, then you can fix it. ✔ Airbag System Diagnosis (SRS): A safety restraint system, is made up of impact sensors, a control module, and the airbags themselves. This diagnostic device can detect every electronic parameter to check its health status.
- 🚗【FULL 10 OBDII DIAGNOSIS FREE】This check engine code reader supports 10 modes of OBDII diagnostic functions-Read codes, Erase codes, On-board monitor test, I/M readiness, Vehicle live data, Freeze frame data, Auto VIN information, O2 Monitor Test, EVAP Monitor Test, DTCs Lookup. It helpful for quick analysis and diagnosis, providing solutions, saving time and money.
- 👍【EPB & OIL RESET FREE】Optional Paid Subscription Service Resets: Throttle Matching, Battery Matching,ABS Bleeding,EPB Reset,DPF Regeneration,TPMS Reset(NOT TPMS programming),Airbag Reset,Gear Learn, Etc. $29.95/one/ year. 👉 NOTE: The reset function is not applicable to all vehicles. Please send us the VIN number to check compatibility before purchasing.
- 🚗【Various vehicle coverage + 8 languages】Thinkcar ThinkScan SF100 car scanner diagnostic car diagnostic tool supports vehicles under the OBD2 agreement after 1996, covering a wide range of vehicles in Asia, Europe and the United States, with a wide coverage. 💜SUPPORT 8 LANGUAGES💜： English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian, Japanese, German, Italian.
- ✅【 SUPPORT DIAGNOSIS REPORT 】This code reader can easily generate vehicle health diagnosis report, scan the QR code to print the diagnosis report. Simple and convenient, save time and efficiency for your car diagnosis.
- 🥇【COMPLETE ABS SRS OBD2 SCANNER for CAR】1️⃣ABS SRS Airbag Scan Tool: Error codes diagnosis for ABS SRS Airbag control modules; 2️⃣Airbag Light & Sensor Reset Tool: Light reset & sensor calibrate after repairing the faults; 3️⃣Bidirectional Scan Tool: Activate and command ABS/SRS/Airbag components. 4️⃣Powerful OBD2 Scanner: Covers NT201/NT301 all obd2 functions for 12v vehicles after 1996. 👉TIPS: The abs scanner can NOT clear airbag crash data/collision data. NOT support programming/coding.
- 🎃【TOP ABS BLEEDER SCAN TOOL】Have you always feel the Brake pedal was slowly sinking to floor or the pedal was loose than it was a new vehicle? This abs brake auto bleed scan tool will bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves to get a high and tight brake pedal. No need to cost hundreds of service fees to own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed. 👉Note: Only works on the vehicles support auto abs bleeding.
- 👍【UNIQUE ABS SRS BIDIRECTIONAL SCAN TOOL】It’s so valuable to own one with active test feature that never can not find on similar abs scanner. This abs code reader scan tool allows you to control the ABS/Airbag system and components to test hidden issues, including Auto Bleed Test/ Setup SDM Serial Number/ ABS Manual Control Tests/ ABS Motor Test/ ABS Version Test/ Actuator Tests, etc. When you exit the test, the system/component returns to normal operation.
- 🌈【AIRBAG & SAS CALIBRATION RESET】 Reading the airbag faults when the light was on and help you to reset the error codes after solving the faults. Also runs calibration of the steering angle sensor,which permanently stores the current steering wheel position as straight-ahead in the sensor EEPROM. On successful calibration of the sensor, the fault is automatically cleared. 🚩🚩🚩NOTE: Reset of the airbag exploding codes from car crash will not available even replaced the new airbag.
- 🚦【MEET YOUR ALL DEMANDS ON ABS BRAKE SRS AIRBAG】 If you feel headache on choosing scan tool with more expensive functions or low-cost but less features. This abs scanner airbag code reader is born to solve your issues. Not only the NT630 Plus car scanner will scan, pin-point the problem down and tell you which sensor was bad, no need to replace one by one, but also it will reset/calibrate the new sensor after replacement. The warning lights will off and all modules will running well again.
- 🔔【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2023 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2023 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 🍎【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your lovely cars and pinpoint the problem for you, which saves time and money for you. It will t-urn off the warning light for you after you fix the problem, making you to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- 🥑【2 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100 USD), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 🍓【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- 🥝【Solid protective case KO plastic carrying bag】+ 【Lifetime update】Almost all same price-level obd scanner diagnostic tool only offers plastic bag to hold on the scanner.However, NT604 Elite automotive scanner is equipped with solid protective case, preventing your obd2 scanner from damage. Then you don’t need to pay extra money to buy a solid toolbox.
- 🎁 Conact Seller to Get Free Gift 🎁 Same Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Fast Delivery by Amazon🎁 Lifetime Free Update🎁 5 YEARS Warranty.
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Functions Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Lifetime Free Update] Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem. Large size Color Screen; Print Function; Print the diagnose result easily; With user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK. Lifetime free update by windows.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- 🔧【PLUG AND PLAY - EASY TO USE】 : It only takes 3 steps to connect to the car for diagnosis without cumbersome operations. The latest FX2000 is equipped with a one-key diagnosis function, which can automatically identify the model and year of your car, and automatically diagnose the car. Even beginners can use it to read the data to find out what the fault codes mean, how serious the fault is and what options there are to fix it before you go to the repair shop.
- 🚗【FULL OBD-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS】: Quickly determines the cause of engine system faults, reads current, permanent and pending codes. After the repair, clears the codes and turns off the warning light. In addition, the FX2000 also displays important OBD II advanced data such as fuel, live data and other manufacturer-specific parameters in real time to ensure that the engine ECU is operating correctly and safely, saving vehicle owners a lot of time and money in maintenance.
- 🚙【TRANSMISSION FAULT DIAGNOSTIC】: When noises start to come from the transmission, your car might have transmission problems. This transmission scanner will read fault codes, display live transmission system data (fluid temperature, fluid pump, clutch actuation, pressure, etc.), and ensures transmission performance is optimal for vehicle speed and load. It provides detailed TCM data of the vehicle, so you can quickly and accurately find existing or potential problems.
- 🚐【FIND OUT SRS WRONG】: It is able to read and clear fault codes in the SRS (airbag) and turn off the warning light to make sure the system is working correctly and safely. This diagnostic tool also displays a live graphical data stream of the supplemental restraint system (air bag), which allows you to analyze and verify that the air bag system is working properly.
- 🚌【ABS OBD2 SCANNER】:The FX2000 can read and clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) data stream transmitted from the ABS. It can verify the operating conditions of the ABS through a series of bi-directional tests and turn off the warning light. By retrieving the ABS code data, it can check the various brake components and accurately diagnose problems.
- 🚩2023 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 【ABS & SRS Scan Tool 】 Help you diagnose issues with both anti-lock braking system (ABS) and internal airbag system (SRS); test their sensors, valves, or solenoids; and keep track of any threats in real time to prevent unexpected damage with these 2 essential safety systems, which a normal OBD2 scanner cannot do. Compatible with GM, Nissan, Fiat, Benz, Volvo, LandRover, BMW, USAFord.
- 【3 Reset Services 】Easy to set up 3 regular reset services for Oil Light, Battery Management System, and Steering Angle Position. With this diagnostic tool, you can reset the oil service light and reset pre-programmed mileage intervals for energy efficiency; adjust or reset the steering angle position to keep steering aligned; and clear the original low battery fault information. No need to leave home for shop-quality car maintenance.
- 【All OBD2 Test Modes 】 Quickly tell you the exact cause behind the check engine warning light. This ABS & SRS scan tool is also a fully-featured obd2 code reader; can read/clear engine light codes, show live data, and do I/M readiness test ... to solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. Plus, it has the now-popular DTC lookup library to save searching repair materials online.
- 【User-Oriented 】 Physically, you will like the feel of this obd2 scanner with the black rubber grip thing all around the outside edge. Durable enough to stand the accidental drop. Thanks to its easily accessible menu, you can operate all functions in minutes, with the press of a few buttons. 3-color LEDs intuitively indicate if everything's good, there's a warning, or there's a serious issue. There’s even an LED integrated into the connector port so you can hook it up in darkness.
- 【Worry-Free Purchase 】 You can update this scan tool through an internet USB to have the latest software for its optimized performance, with no extra costs throughout all its using life. We offer you 1-year quality backup period with 30-day unconditional return & replacement policy. TOPDON offers reliable customer support on Facebook during weekdays. Search “TOPDON Official” on Facebook and contact us via message. Multilingual Menu: EN, FR, ES, DE, IT, RU, PT, and JP.
- 🎉【2023 Upgraded Ver. of AL519/ ML519/ ML619】Autel develops the brand-new AutoLink AL619 as the advanced ver. of Autel ML519, AL519, AL319, MS309. This AL619 OBD2 scanner can scan ABS & SRS systems, and support 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function on Worldwide Vehicles to read, erase codes and turn off the MIL, ABS, SRS warning lights so that you can better maintain your car when related malfunctions occur and make your vehicle ready for the annual test.
- 🎉【Accurate ABS/ SRS Diagnostics Functions】The ABS/ SRS diagnostic function is used to retrieve and clear codes from the ABS/ SRS systems. It can read and clear DTCs, show definitions of each code, display live data of multiple sensors in the graph to locate fault causes, and assist home mechanics to do the proper repair and clear ABS & Airbag warning lights. Diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models. Please email 📩 immoautel @ outlook. com 📩 for help.
- 🎉【All 10 Modes of OBD II Diagnostics Function】The OBD II Diagnostics function is a fast-access option that allows you to carry out a quick test on the engine system of OBD II vehicles. Read Codes, Erase Codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame, Retrieving I/M Readiness Status, O2 Monitor Test, On-Board Monitor Test, DTC Lookup, Component Test, Viewing Vehicle Information, Modules Present.
- 🎉【Live Data and Freeze Frame Data】With Live Data functions, Autel AL619 OBD2 diagnostic code reader allows you to view the live PID (Parameter Identification Data) of the vehicle's computer module(s) in text, graph to check the status of various sensors. And Freeze Frame Data enables you to view the vehicle's operating parameters at the moment a DTC is detected. These information will aid the technician by allowing the parameters to be duplicated for diagnostic and repair purposes.
- 🎉【DTC Lookup Feature】Besides showing you the code’s definition while you are reading the diagnostic trouble codes, AL619 features comparably user-friendly DTC Lookup Function which enables you to retrieve the definitions of any error codes from the large database of AL619, saving you from the hassle of wasting time searching definition of every code via Google.
- [2023 New Processor, Lifetime Free Update, No Subscription fee ] Faster! Stable! Upgraded Of FOXWELL Car Scanner NT604 Elite/ANCEL FX2000, The CRP123X Elite car diagnostic scanner has a new processor, Android 7.0, 16GB of memory, 5-inch touchscreen (720P), 6100mAh rechargeable battery, One-touch Wi-Fi Lifetime Free update for more vehicle coverage, bug fixes,newly added parameters, and functionality to help you access, diagnose and fix more vehicles faster. SAVE AT LEAST $2000 PER YEAR.
- [Newly Added 3 RESET FUNCTIONS] 2023 New Ver. scan tool CRP123X Elite ADDS NEW SPECIAL FUNCTIONS--Throttle Adaptation, Oil Reset, SAS Reset. Before the trip to the mechanic, the launch crp123x elite can do deeper diagnosis for the car system and react with accurate data in minutes. Just Update the software of your CRP123X scanner, and you’ll get this high-end function at no charge.
- [Accurate & Intuitive Multi System Diagnosis] Will you be confused about what happens when the warning light of transmission, ABS, and SRS Airbag check engine flashes? Launch obd2 scanner diagnostic tool CRP123X to pinpoint the problem components for a faster diagnosis for your car instead of taking your car to the dealership, and will turn off the warning light for you after fixing the problem, make to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- [Multiple Display of Live Data + DTC Code Definition Explanation] Launch car tools shows real-time data of oil temp, pressure, transmission temp, engine speed, coolant temperature, you will know which car part is abnormal. Data can be shown in a single, multi- graph, and merge two graphs for analysis（merge 4 PIDs in one). It’s convenient for car owners to purchase auto parts and replace it by yourself, 🔥Code Search,DTC Library provide massive information.
- [Auto VIN Smart Diagnostic&Wide Range of Vehicle Supported] Launch scanner autovin technology allows you to get your VIN and vehicle info rapidly (vehicle make, model, and year info), no need to take time to find your VIN and input one by one (Some models need to type it in manually.)It has newest car software. This car code reader support vehicle like passenger car, SUVs, minivans, 12V light-duty trucks, etc. produced by Asian, European, American, Indian, and more brands between 1996 and 2023.
Last update on 2023-03-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.
OMB Control No.: 2127-0004 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-094 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Manufacturer Name : Hyundai Motor America Submission Date : FEB 16, 2023 NHTSA Recall No. : 23V-094 Manufacturer Recall No. : 012G Manufacturer Information : Manufacturer Name : Hyundai Motor America Address : 10550 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley CA 92708 Company phone : 800-633-5151 Population : Number of potentially involved : 65,517 Estimated percentage with defect : 1 % Vehicle Information : Vehicle 1 : 2021-2023 Genesis G80 Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES Body Style : 4-DOOR Power Train : GAS Descriptive Information : The subject population includes 9,720 model year 2021-2023 Genesis G80 vehicles produced on the specified dates by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) for sale in the U.S. market. Production Dates : JUL 25, 2020 – JAN 25, 2023 VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential Vehicle 2 : 2023-2023 Genesis GV60 Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES Body Style : SUV Power Train : HYBRID ELECTRIC Descriptive Information : The subject population includes 940 model year 2023 Genesis GV60 vehicles produced on the specified dates by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) for sale in the U.S. market. Production Dates : FEB 04, 2022 – DEC 27, 2022 VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-094 Page 2 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Vehicle 3 : 2022-2023 Genesis GV70 Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES Body Style : SUV Power Train : GAS Descriptive Information : The subject population includes 21,917 model year 2022-2023 Genesis GV70 vehicles produced on the specified dates by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) for sale in the U.S. market. Production Dates : MAR 10, 2021 – JAN 11, 2023 VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential Vehicle 4 : 2020-2023 Genesis GV80 Vehicle Type : LIGHT VEHICLES Body Style : SUV Power Train : GAS Descriptive Information : The subject population includes 32,940 model year 2020-2023 Genesis GV80 vehicles produced on the specified dates by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) for sale in the U.S. market. Production Dates : JUL 27, 2020 – DEC 29, 2022 VIN Range 1 : Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential Description of Defect : Description of the Defect : The subject vehicles are equipped with driver/passenger pyrotechnic-type seat belt pretensioners that may deploy abnormally in certain crashes due to overpressurization of the pretensioner pipe. The potential for this condition is dependent on vehicle characteristics, pretensioner load limiter specification, airbag control unit logic, crash duration and severity. FMVSS 1 : NR FMVSS 2 : NR Description of the Safety Risk : An abnormal pyrotechnic pretensioner deployment could cause metal fragments to enter the vehicle occupant compartment, which may result in injury to vehicle occupants. Description of the Cause : The cause of the abnormal seatbelt pretensioner deployment is due to over pressurization of the pretensioner pipe in certain crashes. Identification of Any Warning that can Occur : NR Involved Components : Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-094 Page 3 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Component Name 1 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for driver’s side (G80) Component Part Number : 888A0-T1500 Component Name 2 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for passenger’s side (G80) Component Part Number : 888B0-T1500 Component Name 3 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for driver’s side (GV70) Component Part Number : 888A0-AR500, 88810-AR500 Component Name 4 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for passenger’s side (GV70) Component Part Number : 888B0-AR500, 88820-AR500 Component Name 5 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for driver’s side (GV60) Component Part Number : 888A0-CU500, 88810-CU500 Component Name 6 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for passenger’s side (GV60) Component Part Number : 888B0-CU500, 88820-CU500 Component Name 7 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for driver’s side (GV80) Component Part Number : 888A0-T6500 Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-094 Page 4 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Component Name 8 : S/BELT ASSY-FR P/TENSR 3PT LH/RH Component Description : Seat belt assembly w/ pretensioner for passenger’s side (GV80) Component Part Number : 888B0-T6500 Supplier Identification : Component Manufacturer Name : Samsong Address : Jungdong St, 62-30, Seongsan-Gu Changwon-City Gyeongnam Foreign States 51553 Country : Korea, Republic of Chronology : Please see Attachment A for the requested chronology of events leading up to the defect decision. Description of Remedy : Description of Remedy Program : All owners of the subject vehicles will be notified by first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicles to a Genesis dealer to have the seat belt pretensioner’s micro gas generator and delivery pipe secured with a cap to prevent potential abnormal deployment. This remedy will be offered at no cost to owners for all affected vehicles, regardless of whether the affected vehicles are still covered under Genesis’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Additionally, Genesis will provide owners of affected vehicles reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses incurred to obtain a remedy for the recall condition in accordance with the reimbursement plan submitted to NHTSA on February 24, 2022. How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : The cap will secure the pretensioner’s micro gas generator and pretensioner pipe during deployment. Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : Genesis G80, GV60, GV70, and GV80 vehicles are equipped with a vent valve in the pretensioner pipe beginning August 9, 2022, October 2, 2022, September 4, 2022, and October 5, 2022, respectively. Recall Schedule : Description of Recall Schedule : Dealers and owners will be notified in accordance with the specified dates. Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-094 Page 5 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573 Planned Dealer Notification Date : APR 17, 2023 – APR 17, 2023 Planned Owner Notification Date : APR 17, 2023 – APR 17, 2023 * NR – Not Reported
GMA Recall 012G: SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER – Remedy Not Available – Retailer Best Practice February 17, 2023 Recall Description: The front driver and/or passenger side seat belt pretensioners in the subject vehicles were installed containing pyrotechnic-type pretensioners that may deploy abnormally during a crash. An abnormal pyrotechnic pretensioner deployment could cause metal fragments to enter the vehicle occupant compartment, which may result in injury to vehicle occupants. The potential for this condition is dependent on vehicle characteristics, pretensioner load limiter specification, airbag control unit logic, crash duration and severity. Applicable Vehicles: • Certain 2023MY Genesis GV60 vehicles produced from 02/04/2022 – 12/27/2022 • Certain 2022-23MY Genesis GV70 vehicles produced from 03/10/2021 – 01/11/2023 • Certain 2021-23MY Genesis GV80 vehicles produced from 07/27/2020 – 12/29/2022 • Certain 2021-23MY Genesis G80 vehicles produced from 07/25/2020 – 01/25/2023 Remedy Information: The remedy is currently under development and additional information will be provided once it has been developed for release. Training recommendations, if applicable, will also be made available when the remedy is ready. Recommended Alternative Transportation: Retailer should offer service valet to all customers and if customer does not feel safe operating their vehicle until the remedy has been performed. Service Valet is available to the original owner for 3/36. The customer could also get a loaner (CVP) if a recall/warranty repair(s) is needed beyond 3/36 (Service Valet benefit has expired for original owner). As required by federal law, dealers must not deliver new vehicles for sale or for lease to customers until all open recalls have been performed. Dealers must perform all open recalls on used vehicles, demo, and rental vehicles prior to placing them into customer use and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair. To check vehicle specific recall applicability, access the “Vehicle Information” screen via WebDCS. Customer Talk Tracks “During your visit today, I checked your vehicle for any open campaigns or recalls and found that your vehicle does have an open recall without an available remedy. The recall states that in the event of a crash, an abnormal deployment of the pyrotechnic pretensioner could cause metal fragments to enter the vehicle occupant compartment, resulting in potential injury to vehicle occupants. Once a remedy is available, Genesis will notify you via First Class mail advising you to bring your vehicle to a Genesis retailer to have it applied at no cost to you. If you experience any concern(s) related to the seat belt pretensioner of your vehicle on the driver and/or passenger’s side, please have your vehicle towed to the nearest Genesis retailer and do not attempt to drive the vehicle until a remedy has been applied.” Best Practice Checklist Reservation: Did you check WebDCS for additional campaigns or recalls? □ Yes □ No Reception: Did you offer the customer Alternative Transportation? □ Yes □ No Additional Training & Resources: Remedy is currently under development. Applicable training courses related to this recall, if applicable, will be provided once a remedy has been released by GMA. Parts Parts, if applicable, will be provided once a remedy has been released by GMA. Warranty Warranty information will be updated once remedy has been released by GMA. Customer FAQ: Q1: What is the issue? A1: The front driver and/or passenger side seat belt pretensioners in the subject vehicles were installed containing pyrotechnic-type pretensioners that may deploy abnormally during a crash. An abnormal pyrotechnic pretensioner deployment could cause metal fragments to enter the vehicle occupant compartment, which may result in injury to vehicle occupants. The potential for this condition is dependent on vehicle characteristics, pretensioner load limiter specification, airbag control unit logic, crash duration and severity. Q2: What are the affected vehicles? A2: The affected vehicles are the following produced by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”): • Certain 2023MY Genesis GV60 vehicles produced from 02/04/2022 – 12/27/2022 • Certain 2022-23MY Genesis GV70 vehicles produced from 03/10/2021 – 01/11/2023 • Certain 2021-23MY Genesis GV80 vehicles produced from 07/27/2020 – 12/29/2022 • Certain 2021-23MY Genesis G80 vehicles produced from 07/25/2020 – 01/25/2023 Q3: What is the safety concern? A3: An abnormal pyrotechnic pretensioner deployment could cause metal fragments to enter the vehicle occupant compartment, which may result in injury to vehicle occupants. Q4: Have there been any accidents or injuries? A4: As of the date of this filing (02/16/23), Hyundai/Genesis is not aware of any abnormal pretensioner deployment incidents for the affected vehicles, including fatalities, injuries, crashes and fires globally. Q5: Stop Sale? A5: Dealer: A dealer “stop sale” has been issued in accordance with federal regulation for affected vehicles unsold at retailers. The stop sale commenced with the filing of the 573 to NHTSA. Port: A “hold” has been issued for all vehicles located at ports. Q6: What will be done during the recall service at the retailer? A6: Once an official remedy is available, all owners of the subject vehicles will be notified by first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicles to a Genesis retailer to have the remedy completed free of charge, regardless of whether the affected vehicles are still covered under Genesis’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Genesis will provide owners of affected vehicles reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses incurred to obtain a remedy for the recall condition in accordance with the reimbursement plan submitted to NHTSA on February 24,2022. Q7: When will owners be notified? A7: Owners will be notified via First Class Mail in mid-April 2023. Contact Reference: Please see the following page for commonly referred to contacts. Thank you for your prompt attention to this important safety matter and continued commitment to Genesis customers. Key Contact Information Dealer Support Contact Information Description Parts 1-844-436-6455 www.GenesisDealerUSA.com Parts > Mobis Parts Portal Parts ordering hotline for retailers Techline 1‐800‐325‐6604 Vehicle Technical Support for Genesis Warranty HELP Line 1‐877‐446‐2922 email@example.com Warranty Claim questions for Genesis Retailers Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center 1‐844-371-3808 firstname.lastname@example.org Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center for Genesis Retailers Service Lane Technology (SLT) Xtime / AutoLoop / CDK Support@xtime.com / 1-866-984- 6355 email@example.com / 1-877-850- 2010 Assistance with SLT Appointment: • Appointment / Shop Capacity Management / Campaign Integration / Operation Codes Customer Support Contact Information Description Genesis Customer Care 1‐844‐340‐9741 customercare@genesis motorsusa.com For Genesis Customer Care, Connected Services and Roadside Assistance Genesis Recall /Campaign Website www.genesis.com/us/recall Updated information for customers related to recall and service campaigns Genesis Roadside Assistance 1-844-340-9742 Genesis Roadside Assistance Key Reference Information Name Source Campaign Central Consolidated repository of recall and service campaign dealer best practices. Located on the service tab homepage in Service Valet Appointment Scheduling www.GenesisdealerUSA.com > Resources > Document Library > Services > Service Valet > Xtime Service Valet Settings Guide Car Care Scheduling (Xtime) – Recall Appointment Notification 1. Log into Xtime 2. Under the menu at the top left, select ‘CONFIGURE’ 3. Under the dealership tab, click “EMAIL COMMUNICATION” 4. Slide the toggle to “ADVANCED” 5. Populate as many e-mails as desired in the “PARTS DESK Parts – Campaign Parts Management (CPM) Procedure As applicable; www.GenesisdealerUSA.com > Resources > Documents Library > Parts > Campaign Parts Management Courtesy Vehicle (CVP) Program www.GenesisdealerUSA.com > Service tab > CVP Fleet Management Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) www.GenesisdealerUSA.com > Service tab > Tech Info Uncompleted Campaign VIN Listing A listing of vehicles is located on WEBDCS> SERVICE tab> select UNCOMPLETED CAMPAIGN VIN LISTING – Dealer Stock (New, SRC, CPO, etc.) and Retailed. Recall /Campaign Website www.genesis.com/us/recall NHTSA Website www.safercar.gov