August 18, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V633000
A fire while parked or driving can increase the risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V633
Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America
Components TRAILER HITCHES
Potential Number of Units Affected 245,030
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling 2020-2022 Palisade vehicles potentially equipped with a tow hitch harness installed as original equipment, or purchased as an accessory through a Hyundai dealership. Debris and moisture accumulation on the tow hitch harness module printed circuit board (PCB) may cause an electrical short, which can result in a fire.
Owners are advised to park outside and away from structures until the recall repair is complete. As an interim repair, dealers will inspect the tow hitch module and remove the fuse, as necessary, free of charge. The final remedy is currently under development. Owner notification letters are expected to mailed October 17, 2022. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai’s number for this recall is 235.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Description of Campaign:
Certain 2020 – 2022 Palisade (LX2) vehicles may be equipped with a genuine Hyundai accessory tow hitch assembly available for purchase through Hyundai as a Port Installed Option (PIO), as a Dealer Installed Option (DIO) or through over the counter part sale. Certain tow hitch harness modules may develop an electrical short circuit. An electrical short could increase the risk of a tow hitch harness module fire while driving or while the vehicle is parked with the ignition off.
As an interim action, Service Campaign P31 provides the procedure to remove the fuse to the tow hitch module to address the fire risk while in operation and parked.
- To check vehicle specific recall applicability, access the “Vehicle Information” screen via WebDCS.
- For this recall, please note that there are new vehicles in dealer stock as of 8/25/2022.
Please see next page regarding additional details and flowchart regarding the Recall 235 inspection.
Vehicle Visual Inspection:
If a customer owned vehicle with an installed genuine Hyundai accessory trailer hitch assembly had the 40A fuse removed as per Campaign P31, please note the following or similar language that should be included in the customer’s Repair Order (RO):
“Please be advised that Campaign P31 is an interim action involving the removal of the 40A tow fuse. Trailer lights and any other associated functions will be inoperable until the Recall remedy is available and performed on your vehicle. Hyundai does not recommend towing while the trailer associated functions are inoperable.”
Q1: What is the issue?
A1: The subject vehicles may be equipped with a genuine Hyundai accessory tow hitch assembly available for purchase through Hyundai as a Port Installed Option (PIO), as a Dealer Installed Option (DIO) or through over the counter part sale. When the trailer’s lighting wiring harness is connected to the vehicle, the trailer hitch accessory module may malfunction resulting in inoperative trailer lights or vehicle brake lights. In limited instances, the malfunction could cause an electrical short circuit in the trailer hitch. An electrical short could increase the risk of a tow hitch harness module fire while driving or while the vehicle is parked with the ignition off.
Q2: What are the affected vehicles?
A2: Tow hitch accessory wiring harness assemblies were included with an accessory tow hitch or sold as a service part for use in model year 2020-2022 Palisade vehicles in the U.S. To identify all vehicles equipped with potentially affected tow hitch wiring harnesses, all model year 2020-2022 Palisade vehicles sold in the U.S. are expected to be involved in this recall.
Q3: What is the safety concern?
A3: A vehicle fire increases the risk of injury to occupants or bystanders.
Q4: Have there been any accidents or injuries?
A4: As of HMA’s filing to NHTSA on 08/18/22, Hyundai has confirmed three (3) unique fire incidents in Canada and none in the U.S. There are no confirmed crashes or injuries related to this condition in Canada or the U.S. Additionally, Hyundai is aware of eight (8) related incidents of melting in the U.S. and eight (8) incidents of melting in Canada from January 16, 2020 through July 15, 2022.
Q5: Will a Stop Sale be issued?
A5: Dealer: A dealer “stop sale” has been issued in accordance with federal regulation for involved vehicles unsold at dealers.
Q6: What will be done during the recall service at the dealer?
A6: Owners can continue driving these vehicles; however, Hyundai recommends parking their vehicles outside and away from structures until the recall remedy is completed. All owners of the subject vehicles will be notified by first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicles to a Hyundai dealer for inspection of tow hitch harness module condition and remedy, if necessary. The remedy procedure is being developed and details will be available once the procedure is finalized.
As an additional, separate level of protection, Hyundai is also planning on removing the fuse to the tow hitch module under campaign P31 to address the fire risk while in operation and parked for those vehicles equipped with an accessory tow hitch assembly. All associated repairs and remedies will be offered at no cost to owners for all affected vehicles, regardless of whether the affected vehicles are still covered under Hyundai’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Additionally, Hyundai will provide owners of affected vehicles reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses incurred to obtain a remedy for the recall condition in accordance with the reimbursement plan submitted to NHTSA on February 24, 2022.
Q7: When will owners be notified?
A7: Owners will be notified in October 2022.
|Technical Service Bulletin||GROUP
*** Dealer Stock & Retail Vehicles ***
Vehicle repairs related to safety recalls are critically important and must be performed properly in accordance with TSB procedures. Review this bulletin in its entirety prior to beginning any repair work.
As required by federal law, dealers must not deliver new vehicles for sale or for lease to customers until all open recalls have been performed. Dealers must also perform all open recalls on used vehicles, demo, and rental vehicles prior to placing them into customer use and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.
Description: Certain 2020 – 2022 Palisade (LX2) vehicles may be equipped with a Genuine Hyundai Accessory tow hitch assembly supplied by and available for purchase through Hyundai as a Port Installed Option (PIO), as a Dealer Installed Option (DIO) or through over the counter part sale. Certain tow hitch harness modules may develop an electrical short circuit. An electrical short could increase the risk of a tow hitch harness module fire while driving or while the vehicle is parked with the ignition off.
This bulletin provides the inspection procedure for vehicles NOT equipped with the trailer tow hitch and wire harness installed.
If the vehicle is equipped with a trailer tow hitch and wire harness, please refer to the Recall 235 Dealer Best Practice document for any additional interim instruction. Additional remedy instruction will be provided when available. Do not perform the inspection procedure outlined below.
This TSB includes STUI picture(s) as a requirement. Where indicated, please include a copy of the RO or last 6 digits of the VIN and date of inspection on a piece of paper. Ensure the VIN and date of inspection are clearly visible. Finally, please ensure all captured pictures are completed according to the steps in this TSB and uploaded to STUI. All claims submitted that have illegible, incomplete, missing, or incorrect picture(s) are subject to debit.
Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2020 – 2022 MY Palisade (LX2)
1. Visually inspect the center rear lower bumper for the following:
- No trailer tow hitch installed
1A. If the vehicle is equipped with a Genuine Hyundai Accessory trailer tow hitch and wire harness, please refer to the Recall 235 Dealer Best Practice document for any additional interim instruction. Additional remedy instruction will be provided when available.
2. Write the last six digits of the VIN and date of repair onto a piece of paper and place it near the center of the rear bumper.
Using STUI, take a picture of the rear center lower bumper. Upload the photo to STUI.
3. Procedure complete.
RECALL 235 ATTACHMENT A
CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO DEFECT DECISION
❖ March – May 2021
On March 1, 2021 – Hyundai Auto Canada Corporation (“HACC”) received a report from a dealership regarding a model year 2020 Palisade vehicle that experienced a fire originating in the bumper area while parked. HACC began coordination of a joint inspection of the vehicle with the vehicle’s insurer.
On April 19, 2021 – HACC received a report from a dealership regarding a model year 2020 Palisade vehicle equipped with a trailer accessory module that had melted.
On May 21, 2021, HACC inspected the vehicle involved in the second incident and confirmed that the inoperative trailer lamp condition was caused by improper installation of the trailer hitch’s wiring harness. HACC continued preparation to inspect the vehicle involved in the first incident and monitoring field information for new incidents.
❖ September – December 2021
On September 7, 2021, HACC inspected the vehicle involved in the first incident; however, a probable cause could not be determined.
On December 3, 2021, HMA’s NASO received a Speak Up for Safety (“SUFS”) report indicating a “key-off” thermal event involving a MY? Palisade vehicle in the U.S. According to the report, the tow hitch accessory wiring module was found melted due to an undetermined cause. NASO’s Data Analysis (“DA”) team conducted a broad search of field information for similar incidents.
❖ February 2022
Based on occurrences of the subject condition in both the U.S. and Canada, on February 23, 2022, NASO’s DA team escalated the investigation to the Data Review Committee (“DRC”) for further study and analysis. NASO’s DRC performed a broad search of field information for similar incidents and found no confirmed fires in the U.S. DRC continued active monitoring of incoming claims and reports for additional incidents that may indicate an upward/downward trend of occurrence.
❖ April – June 2022
On April 4, 2022, HACC received notice of a third incident in Canada involving a model year 2021 Palisade, bringing the total count of confirmed fire incidents in Canada to two (2). Upon completion of its assessment, NASO’s DRC escalated their analysis to the Technical Review Committee for further technical assessment and consideration of potential field action(s).
On April 12, 2022, HACC received notice of a potential third fire incident (fourth incident overall) in Canada involving a model year 2020 Palisade located in a dealer’s storage lot. The remains of the trailer module were not recovered.
On April 29, 2022, HACC received Transport Canada’s (“TC”) notice that it would open an Issue Assessment (“IA”) for two of the three incidents found in Canada.
On June 13-14, 2022, TC, NASO, HACC, Mobis Canada, SEGI Korea, and others participated in a joint inspection of the vehicle from the fourth incident and a laboratory examination of the remains of the trailer module from the third vehicle. During the inspection, a degradation of the B+ wire inside the module was observed.
❖ July 2022
Kia Motor America (“KUS”) retained a third-party engineering analysis firm, Exponent, to investigate and recreate the failure mechanism while Mobis continues to investigate and test the effects of external environmental factors.
❖ August 2022
Based on NASO and HACC’s findings, on August 11, 2022, NASO convened its North America Safety Decision Authority and decided to file a new safety recall to address the condition in all affected Hyundai Palisade vehicles in the U.S.
As of the date of this filing, Hyundai has confirmed three (3) unique fire incidents in Canada and none in the U.S. There are no confirmed crashes or injuries related to this condition in Canada or the U.S. Additionally, Hyundai is aware of eight (8) related incidents of melting in the U.S. and eight (8) incidents of melting in Canada from January 16, 2020 through July 15, 2022.
3 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Attachment A Chronology
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V633-4843
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-22V633-6720
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)RCMN-22V633-8800
Remedy Instructions and TSBRCRIT-22V633-9368
Latest Recalls Documents
- EASY TO INSTALL. No cutting! No splicing! This trailer wiring harness kit plugs into existing factory wiring on your vehicle and equips it with a standard, rear 4-pin trailer wiring connector for plugging in and towing a trailer
- STANDARD CONNECTOR. This plug-in 4-flat trailer wiring can be used to connect trailer tail lights, brake signal lights and turn signals. 4-way trailer light wiring is popular on a wide variety of trailers, adding versatile towing options for your vehicle
- VEHICLE-SPECIFIC. This aftermarket, vehicle-trailer wiring harness is designed for select years of the Hyundai Palisade, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Telluride and Kia Carnival (factory tow package required)
- RELIABLE POWER. This 4-way trailer wiring harness is built with surface mount technology. This type of circuitry generates less heat, optimal light intensity and durable performance
- DUST COVER. To promote long-lasting use and weather resistance, this 4-pole trailer lighting wire harness comes with a rubber dust cover. It easily fits onto the 4-way flat connector when not in use, protecting it against the outdoor elements
- COMPLETE KIT. This towing kit includes a class 3 hitch with hardware and a wiring harness to provide a complete kit for outfitting your vehicle for towing. Both the hitch and wiring are designed for select models of the Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe Sport.
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 6, 000 lbs. gross trailer weight, 900 lbs. tongue weight, 8, 000 lbs. weight distribution capacity and 900 lbs. weight distribution tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component).
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more.
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid Bonderite and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays.
- EASY TO INSTALL. No cutting! No splicing! The trailer wiring harness in this kit plugs into existing factory wiring on your vehicle and equips it with a standard 4-pin trailer wiring connector for plugging in and towing a trailer. It connects the taillights, turn signals and brake lights.
- Vehicle specific replacement trailer wiring harness for vehicles originally equipped with a factory installed tow package - perfect for replacing damaged or missing factory harnesses
- Quick and easy plug-in installation - no cutting or splicing necessary; simply plug into the existing vehicle connector, insert the provided fuse and you are ready to start towing
- Circuit protected HD ModuLite module ensures electrical system compatibility between tow vehicle and trailer, and protects the tow vehicle from harmful electrical shorts or incorrect wire connections
- Included 4-wire flat connector is compatible with 5, 6 and 7 pole adapters (not included) to fit just about any trailer system
- Includes converters where needed, and feature 16 gauge bonded wire with 4-Flat plug.
- The connector is designed to be inserted into the vehicle's wiring harness to facilitate a quick and easy plug-in installation.
- To reduce the strain on your vehicle's existing electrical system, this kit includes a circuit protected, powered HD ModuLite module that takes power directly from the battery to power the trailer's lighting system.
- Solid weatherproof, one-piece construction requires no splicing or taping.
- If you have any questions during the 6-month warranty period, please feel free to contact us for return or exchange.
- Hanging hitch-mount bike carrier for 2 bikes
- Rack tilts down for rear of vehicle access
- Designed to fit 1.25" or 2" hitch receivers
- Superior bike stability and fit. Please note some frame styles may requrie a Thule Frame Adapter to securely attach to hanging bike racks.
- Integrated anti-sway cradles prevent bike to bike contact
- 2 in. Square Receiver Tube Opening
- Rated Up To 5,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) And Up To 750 lbs. Tongue Weight (TW)
- All Hitches Are Designed For Customers With Trucks, Vans, And Sport Utility Vehicles
- Clean Appearance That Attaches To The Vehicle's Frame And/Or Bumper
- Removable Ball Mount, Pin, And Clip Sold Separately
- For Kia Sedona Trailer Wiring. This sedona trailer wire harness fits for select year(2007-2021) of Kia Sedona, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Veracruz. Quickly replacing damaged or missing trailer harness
- Standard 4 Way Connector. 4-flat plug of this trailer wiring for hyundai santa fe compatible with a wide variety of trailers, adding versatile towing options for your vehicle. 4-way trailer wiring can be used to connect trailer tail lights, brake signal lights and turn signals
- Durable Construction. Oyviny powered trailer taillight converter and sorento trailer connectors are made from high strength and good toughness ABS plastic, converter connects directly to battery to avoid overloading vehicle's electrical system
- Easy Installation. Plug and Play sorento tow harness requires no splicing or cutting of wires, directly plug the custom connector into the existing factory tow package harness on your vehicle
- Dust Cover. Both 4 way flat trailer connector and fuse holder(comes with a 10amp fuse) are equipped with rubber dust cap that protect the components from dust and water to prevent rusting and short circuit, ensure long-lasting use
- Compatible With: Hyundai Santa Fe 2013-2018, Sport w/Factory Tow Package 2014-2018, Hyundai Santa Fe XL, w/Factory Tow Package 2019, Hyundai Veracruz 2007-2012, KIA Sedona 2015-2021, KIA Sorento, w/Factory Tow Package 2007-2009, KIA Sorento, EX V6, w/Factory Tow Package 2011-2013, KIA Sorento, LX V6 2011-2013, KIA Sorento, LX V6 w/Factory Tow Package 2011-2013, KIA Sorento, SX V6 2011-2013, KIA Sorento, w/ V6 Engine 2011-2013
- Content: The product includes a vehicle-specific connector and 16-gauge bonding wire (with 4-pole flat plug and cap), of which the 4-wire flat connector is compatible with 5, 6, and 7-pole adapters and is suitable for most trailer systems.
- Note: Kit includes a power supply module that protects the circuit, draws power from the battery and powers the vehicle's lighting system, reducing stress on the vehicle's electrical system and preventing short circuits and overloading of the vehicle's electrical system.
- Installation: Easy to install, plug and play, just remove the original wiring harness and insert our wiring harness.
- Warranty: If the received product is deformed or beat up please contact us by message, we will provide warranty service for damaged products, true worry-free shopping experience.
- 16 Gauge Bonded Wire With 4-Way Flat Plug & Play
- Stop/Turn Circuit Capacity Of 5 Amps
- Taillight Circuit Capacity Of 7.5 Amps
- Solid, Weatherproof, One-Piece Construction
- No Cutting, Splicing, Or Taping Of Vehicle Wires
- DEPENDABLE STRENGTH. This trailer hitch is rated for 4,000 lbs. gross trailer weight and 600 lbs. tongue weight (limited to lowest-rated towing component)
- VERSATILE DESIGN. This class 3 hitch equips your vehicle with a standard 2-inch x 2-inch hitch receiver, allowing for a wide variety of towing options. It can accept a ball mount, cargo carrier, bike rack, tow hook and much more
- FULLY TESTED. Every CURT class 3 trailer hitch design is tested in real-world, on-vehicle conditions at our Detroit engineering facility. Aftermarket hitches are tested according to SAE J684 standards for the utmost safety while hauling
- RUST, CHIP, UV-RESISTANT. This tow hitch is protected with a unique dual-coat finish of rust-resistant liquid A-coat and highly durable black powder coat. The two finishes are co-cured together for exceptional resistance to rust, chipping and UV rays
- EASY TO INSTALL. This hitch offers a custom, factory fit on select model years of the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento
Last update on 2022-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.