August 15, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V627000
Windshield wiper failure can reduce visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V627
Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America
Potential Number of Units Affected 122,919
The remedy is currently under development. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed October 14, 2022. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai’s number for this recall is 233.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
As of 08/15/2022, NHTSA has been notified of this recall. Owners will be notified in October 2022.
Q1: What is the issue?
A1: The subject vehicles are equipped with a windshield wiper motor that could function intermittently or stop functioning when impeded by accumulation of snow and/or ice.
Q2: What is the safety concern?
A2: Intermittent or inoperative windshield wipers could reduce driver visibility while operating the vehicle in inclement weather, increasing the risk of a crash.
Q3: Have there been any accidents or injuries?
A3: As of the date of the filing (08/15/22) to NHTSA, there are no related crashes, injuries, or reported incidents in the U.S.
Q4: What will be done during this recall service at the dealer?
A4: Once an official remedy is available, all owners of the subject vehicles will be notified by first class mail with instructions to bring their vehicles to a Hyundai dealer to have the remedy completed free of charge, regardless of whether the affected vehicles are still covered under Hyundai’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Q5: What if the owner incurred out-of-pocket expenses for obtaining a remedy for the recall condition?
A5: Hyundai will provide owners of affected vehicles reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses incurred to obtain a remedy for the recall condition in accordance with the reimbursement plan submitted to NHTSA on February 24,2022.
Q6: Will a Stop Sale be issued?
A6: No, a stop sale will not be issued as there are no new affected vehicles in dealership inventory.
RECALL 232 ATTACHMENT A
CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO DEFECT DECISION
❖ August 2020 – October 2021
On August 11, 2020, HMA’s NASO issued a Quality Information Report (“QIR”) to HMC based on an increasing number of warranty claims for windshield wiper-related concerns on certain model year 2020-2021 Hyundai Palisade vehicles in the U.S. NASO began monitoring incoming claims for similar reports and potential part recovery for subsequent analysis by HMC and the supplier.
❖ November 2021
On November 5, 2021, NASO received HMC’s response to the QIR. HMC confirmed the growing trend of wiper-related claims and requested active monitoring of new incidents to boost warranty part returns for additional analysis and study.
On November 24, 2021, NASO reviewed its initial investigation into windshield wiper performance on 2020-2021 Palisade vehicles during a recurring monthly review of top safety-related topics with the NHTSA’s Office of Defect Investigations (“ODI”).
By November 29, 2021, NASO received seven (7) new incidents related to the subject condition and shipped ten (10) P63H wiper motors to HMC for analysis.
❖ December 2021 – January 2022
By January 25, 2022, NASO received four (4) new incidents related to the subject condition and shipped six (6) additional P63H wiper motors to HMC for analysis.
On January 26, 2022, NASO provided a second update regarding its investigation to NHTSA’s ODI during its recurring monthly review of safety-related topics.
❖ February 2022
On February 22, 2022, HMC provided tentative findings of its part returns analysis. According to HMC, out of six (6) components that were analyzed, two (2) were found inoperative while the remaining four (4) were confirmed to be working as designed. HMC noted that root cause could not be determined at that time and would require further testing. HMC also noted that the supplier discontinued the P63H wiper motor in December 2020 replacing it with a new version (PS56) that was already in-use across multiple vehicle platforms.
On February 23, 2022, NASO provided a third update on its investigation to NHTSA’s ODI during its recurring monthly review of safety-related topics.
❖ March 2022
HMC informed NASO of new findings suggesting that the P63H wiper motor’s internal gear could become damaged when subjected to external forces and/or obstructions during operation. For CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO DEFECT DECISION assistance in identifying a root cause, HMC requested that the ongoing part recovery request be modified to include complete wiper arm, linkage, and motor sub-assemblies.
On March 23, 2022, NASO provided a fourth update on its investigation to NHTSA’s ODI during its recurring monthly review of safety-related topics.
❖ April – May 2022
On April 27, 2022, HMC provided updated findings of its part returns analysis. According to HMC, out of eighteen (18) total wiper motors that were analyzed, fourteen (14) were found inoperative due to broken gears or stripped gear teeth, while the remaining four (4) were confirmed to be working as designed.
On April 27, 2022, and May 25, 2022, respectively, NASO provided fifth and sixth updates on its investigation to NHTSA’s ODI during its recurring monthly review of safety-related topics.
❖ June – July 2022
By June 10, 2022, ten (10) additional wiper motors were shipped to HMC. HMC initiated a request to collect working, in-use parts for further study. HMC also confirmed that the wiper motor used by the subject Palisade vehicles employed automatic overload protection via a circuit breaker and snow clutch. NASO analyzed VOQ’s provided by the agency and identified a peak in VOQ’s submitted in February 2021 that appeared to be influenced by multiple reports from a single internet forum alleging inoperative/intermittent wiper performance due to heavy snow/ice accumulation.
On June 22, 2022, and July 27, 2022, respectively, NASO provided seventh and eighth updates on its investigation to NHTSA’s ODI during its recurring monthly review of safety-related topics. During these discussions, NASO reviewed its analyses of internal Hyundai field data and VOQ’s, including comparisons of claim data associated with wiper motor types P63H and PS56 and additional VOQ studies confirming most reports alleging intermittent wiper operation did have an associated warranty repair involving replacement of the wiper motor. NASO also reviewed competitor benchmark testing performed by HMC confirming that the alleged wiper condition was not unique to Hyundai Palisade vehicles.
❖ August 2022
Hyundai and NHTSA’s ODI met on August 3, 2022, and August 11, 2022, to discuss Hyundai’s findings from its investigation into the subject condition on 2020-2021 Palisade vehicles equipped with the P63H wiper motor. Hyundai informed the agency of its intent to continue investigating potential root causes and other causal factors that may contribute to the onset of an intermittent wiper condition through review of substantially similar vehicle platforms including, but not limited to, motor specification, wiper hardware arm/linkage etc.
Based on HMC’s findings, on August 8, 2022, NASO convened its North America Safety Decision Authority and decided to file a new safety recall to address the condition of intermittent wiper operation on 2020-2021 Palisade vehicles equipped with the P63H wiper motor. The root cause and a potential remedy are under investigation.
On August 16, 2022, HMC informed NASO of revisions to the affected vehicle population initially reported in Hyundai’s filing of Recall 233 based on further analysis and confirmation with U.S. territory distributors. Hyundai is submitting these revisions as amended information to the initial Part 573 report for Recall 233.
As of the date of this filing, Hyundai has confirmed 57 unique incidents received from July 31, 2019, through June 8, 2022, in the U.S. There are no confirmed crashes or injuries related to this condition in either market.
2 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Attachment A ChronologyRMISC-22V627-6643
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-22V627-3441
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Recall 573 Report – August 25, 2022RCLRPT-22V627-2559
Amended Chronology ReportRMISC-22V627-8811
Latest Recalls Documents
- The Rain-X Latitude Water Repellency Wiper Blade Combo Pack 26" and 16" fits 2007-2016 Acura RDX, 2007-2015 Honda CR-V, 2009-2015 Toyota Corolla and many other Makes and Models. Check your Garage for the correct wiperblade sizes.
- More Than Just a Wiper Blade! 2-IN-1 Wiper Blade + Water Repellent - Clears & Repels Water. An aerodynamic spoiler prevents wind lift and delivers a quiet wipe
- 2017 Product of the Year Winner - Car Care Category (survey of 40, 000 people by Kantar TNS)
- Rain-X Water Repelling Coating - Applied to the windshield by the wiper blades and lasts for months
- Advanced, Beam Blade Technology – Contours to the curvature of the windshield for a smooth, virtually streak-free wipe and features a patented universal adapter for easy installation and a
- Fit for U/J hook wiper arm. Easy installation and perfect fit, no need for awkward adapters. Solid quality at a low price. 1 Year warranty.
- Dual precision-tensioned steel springs, coupled with an asymmetrical wind spoiler, deliver uniform pressure distribution and better windshield contact, Conforms to windshield curve, eliminating wet spots that can impede your vision.
- AA grade natural rubber with teflon coating delivers the ultimate smooth, clean, chatter-free wipe.
- Aerodynamic design significantly reduces drag, noise and wind lift. Bracketless design helps prevent snow and ice buildup.
- The factory typically has more than one style wiper blade mount on the samebody style car. please see description for full fitment details, and study the pictures carefully to make sure this is the correct style wiper for your application.
- The original Rain-X Weatherbeater wiper blade! For over 15 years, this traditional wiper blade is still known and trusted for its quality, durability and value.
- The galvanized steel frame prevents rust and corrosion while providing strength and durability.
- Natural rubber squeegee resists cracking, splitting and tearing caused by heat, cold, windshield wiper fluid and salt
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- 【Easy And Quick Installation】：Fit for U/J hook(9*3 & 9*4) wiper arm. Easy installation and perfect fit, no need for awkward adapters.install in seconds，All-weather performance is guaranteed for more than 6 months.
- 【0 Streak Wiping】Dual high tenacity memory spring steel sheet, coupled with an asymmetrical wind spoiler, deliver uniform pressure distribution and better windshield contact,without leaving any gaps while the wiper working.
- 【High-Quality User Experience】：The longer and thicker wiper base and left and right buckles, as well as the award-winning unsupported beam design, not only make the wiper perform well in rain and snow, but also remain stable, durable and quiet all the weather.
- 【Quality Products Not To Be Missed】：Factory direct, Solid quality at a low price、1 Year warranty.
- 【What You Get】: 1 driver side wiper blade 26 inches, 1 passenger side wiper blade 18 inches, wiper installation instructions, our 12-month worry-free warranty and friendly customer service.
- 【Fitment】Replacement for Hyundai Elantra 2011-2016, Elantra Coupe 2013-2014, Elantra GT 2013-2014, J-Hook 100% fitment guaranteed【Fitment】For 2011-2016 Hyundai Elantra, 2013-2014 Hyundai Elantra Coupe / GT, front wiper kit is perfect gift for friends and family
- 【Replacement】AERO-J2814 / AERO-G1-2814 / AERO-28-14 / Rain-X RX30214 / RX30228, J-Hook 100% fitment guaranteed
- 【Package】Comes with 2pcs front wiper blade, 2pcs wiper adapters, perfect replacement for keeping the windshield of water and dirt, providing a smooth, clean, streak-free wipe
- 【Material】AAA level natural rubber squeegee resists cracking caused by heat, cold, windshield wiper fluid and salt; the galvanized steel frame prevents rust and corrosion - extend the life of the windshield wiper blade
- ★ GUARANTEE ★ 60-Day return refund and 1-Year quality warranty, we are dedicated to providing 100% customer satisfaction
- 【FITMENT】Replacement for Hyundai tucson windshield wiper blade 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
- 【FITMENT】Replacement for Mazda CX7 CX-7 windshield wiper blade 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
- 100% Brand New , All-weather, All-Season OEM quality windshield wiper blades ,Long life,Smooth engagement
- 【ALL- WEATHER PERFORMANCE】- The patented 1,500 pressure points on the blade deliver the quietest performance. Higher visibility and lower-DB wipe ensure the driving safety.
- 【EASY-TO-INSTALL】 Quick and easy to install. fit perfect to your car, like the original parts. It’s installed to the wiper arm by means of J/H.
- 【Fitment】Replacement for 2013-2018 Hyundai Santa Fe, wiper kit is perfect gift for friends and family
- 【OEM】Meets Or Exceeds OEM Specs, OEM: # 988112W000 & 988502W000, the guarantee of quality and product testing
- 【Material】Arm - use 100% PBT with 30% Pb, Blades - natural rubber, AAA level. Have precisely fitted wiper elements for smoother and quieter operation
- 【Package】Comes with 1pc wiper arm & cover, 1pc wiper blade 13"(340mm), 1pc instruction manual, easy installment, perfect replacement
- ★ GUARANTEE ★: 60-day return refund and 1-year quality warranty, we are dedicated to providing 100% customer satisfaction
- Replace Part Number:98850 A5000,98850-A5000,3 397 013 049,A 310 H
- Rear Wiper Balde Fit 2011-2016 for Hyundai Elantra GT 1.6 GDI,2013-2016 for Hyundai Elantra GT 2.0L,2011-2015 for Hyundai Elantra GT (GD) 1.6
- Rear Wiper Replace 2012-2018 for Hyundai i30 Estate,2013-2018 for Hyundai i30 Coupe 1.6,2011-2018 for Hyundai i30 Hatchback 1.6L
- Hyundai Elantra gt Wiper Balde is Curved Aerodynamic Design to Reduce Motor Load During High Speed Driving,Easy to Install in Few Minutes
- OE Standard Wiper Blades fit Snugly Against the Rear Window for Clean Wipping Without Noise and Streaking,Suitable for All the Weather and Seasons
- OTUAYAUTO Blades: Replacement for 12-17 Hyundai Elantra,12-17 i30, 15-18 Kia Optima
- Silicone Rubber: Ensures greater visibility and to promote continuous water beading in inclement weather
- Comparison: Replacement of 98850A5000 / 98850 A5000 / 98850-A5000 blade for your reference
- Product Feature: The package was arrived with two blades, which use high-grade materials, hard and brittle characteristics, direct replacement, easy Installation
- Guarantee: The product also provide one-year-warranty, please contact our professional customer team with no hesitate
- Fitment: Replacement for Hyundai Elantra GT 2013-2017,Fit for Hyundai I30 2013-2017,Fit for Kia Forte 2014-2018,Fit for Jaguar F-PACE 2017-2022
- Packing Includes: 2 x Rear Wiper Blade ,1 x Clean Cloth
- Easy Install:The same model and assembly as the car,Direct fit.Easy one step installation
- Perfect Fit: Design According to the Car Part.Abrasion resistant Natural rubber:Durable and long service life.
- 70%PBT +30% Fiberglass, Strong frame surface coating to resist UV
Last update on 2022-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.