September 4, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V543000
ABS Unit may cause Engine Compartment Fire
An engine compartment fire can increase the risk of injury or crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V543
Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 180,000
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2019-2021 Tucson vehicles. The Anti-lock Brake Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit (HECU) could corrode internally and cause an electrical short, possibly resulting in an engine compartment fire.
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the HECU fuse. For 2019-2021 model years, the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) software will also be updated. Recall repairs will be performed free of charge. Owners are advised to park outside and away from structures as a precaution until the recall repair is complete. The recall began November 2, 2020. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai’s number for this recall is 195.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Check if your Hyundai has a Recall
Recall 195 Dealer Best Practice
Date: March 19, 2021
Attn: Dealer Principal/General Manager/Service Manager/Parts Manager
Subject: Recall 195: 2019-2021MY & 2016-2018MY Tucson Anti-lock Brake System – “ABS” Module v4 (TSB# 21-01-010H-1)
|Updates To This Document||Date|
***IMPORTANT Dealer Stock and Retail Vehicles***
As required by federal law, dealers must not deliver new vehicles for sale or for lease to customers until all open recalls have been performed. Dealers should also perform all open recalls on used vehicles, demo and rental vehicles prior to placing them into customer use and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.
****A ‘stop sale’ has been initiated by Hyundai Motor America (“HMA”) for HMA Recall Campaign 195 for the affected vehicles listed below currently in Dealer’s stock inventory.****
Hyundai is conducting a safety recall in the United States to address a condition with the Anti-lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules in certain model year 2016-2021 Hyundai Tucson vehicles produced for sale in the U.S. market.
The affected vehicles include:
- 2016-2021MY Tucson (TL) vehicles
Hyundai is initiating this action to ensure the safety and compliance of its vehicles and the continued satisfaction of Hyundai customers.
The subject vehicles may be equipped with Anti-lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules that could exhibit an electrical short over time. An electrical short in the ABS module could increase the risk of an engine compartment fire while parked or driving. This recall describes the procedure to install a fuse kit into the ABS module electrical circuit and if necessary, update the ABS/ESC software from the TSB.
Reservation – Always check the Vehicle Information Screen in WebDCS for open campaigns and recalls, and advise the customer on time requirements.
- Provide customer with transportation options such as an SRC, alternative vehicle, shuttle or rideshare.
- Important: Dealer will forfeit incentives if vehicles with an open recall are sold to customers. Please ensure all Dealer stock vehicles have had all recalls completed prior to sale to customer.
Readiness – Review this announcement and the accompanying FAQs with all Service and Parts staff including
Reservationist/BDC. Also, complete all applicable training, check your reservation capacity settings (you can set separate capacities for every recall/campaign), confirm email addresses for campaign appointments, and that you have all necessary tools, campaign parts and shop equipment as needed.
- Recommended Level of Technician Certification and/or Completed Coursework to perform TSB work:
- Expert Level
- Be prepared to put customers in an SRC or alternative transportation, if needed.
- REMINDER: Out of an abundance of caution, owners of these vehicles should park them outside until the recall repair is completed. If the ABS warning light is illuminated, the vehicle should not be driven and a local Hyundai dealer should be contacted. Customers should also disconnect the vehicle’s 12-volt battery and leave it disconnected while the vehicle is parked waiting for service. If needed, the customer will be provided a rental vehicle.
Reception – Always check the Vehicle Information Screen in WebDCS for open campaigns and recalls, and print a copy for technicians. Provide SRC or an alternative vehicle, as needed. If a customer has declined the campaign, note this on the repair order and request the customer’s signature next to the statement.
Repair – Always plug in the GDS before starting the repair. Make sure to complete an MPI on all vehicles and Quality Control your work.
- Please refer to TSB #21-01-010H-1 for complete repair procedures o Please note that there are two part kits (ABS Fuse Kit and Multi-Fuse Kit) that are now available to dealers. Select the appropriate option based on part used and perform the corresponding procedure.
- REMINDER Prior to Performing Service Procedures: If applicable, record the customer’s radio preset stations prior to performing the service procedures.
- PLEASE NOTE: If the “ABS”, “ESC” or “Brake” indicator lamps are illuminated, refer to the appropriate section of the repair manual prior to installing the ABS Fuse Kit or Multi-Fuse Kit
- HECU NOTE: The vehicle’s HECU Part number can be found on the label affixed to the HECU.
- For ABS Fuse Kit Service Procedure ONLY -When using the heat gun, use caution to avoid damaging the wiring. o ABS Software Update (if required, based on Hydraulic Unit Assembly (HECU) part number in the vehicle):
- The Service Procedure is performed using GDS-mobile. For update information and general precautions, please refer to TSB #15-GI-001.
- Manual mode should only be performed when the Auto update fails.
- If the auto update fails, turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds, then back ON again to reset the control unit before performing the manual update.
- REMINDER Upon Completion of Service Procedures: After the software has updated, check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes in the ALL menus and erase any DTCs, and reprogram the customer’s radio preset stations.
Return – Review all completed campaigns/recalls and repairs to answer any customer questions. Also, schedule the customer’s next service.
Reconnect – Follow up for customer satisfaction.
Please review the Parts Information on the TSB and order the necessary ABS Fuse Kit or Multi Fuse Kit, depending on availability.
As part of the revised TSB, please note that the additional 2 op codes were added with the addition of an alternative service procedure with Multi Fuse kit part numbers. See highlighted section in yellow below referencing additional op codes.
This recall has been posted with NHTSA. NHTSA has been re-notified with the expansion to add 2016-2018MY vehicles and to update the production date range for 2020-2021MY vehicles. Owners were mailed notification letters in October 2020 for the initial launch of 195 and were mailed notification letters again in late February 2021.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this important matter and continued commitment to Hyundai customers.
Hyundai Motor America
Q1: What is the issue?
A1: The subject vehicles are equipped with Anti-Lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules that could malfunction internally and cause an electrical short over time, resulting in an engine compartment fire.
Although an exact root cause has not yet been determined, Hyundai believes the ABS module’s main controller board (PCB), under specific conditions including heat and humidity, could experience an electrical resistance short.
Q2: What are the affected vehicles?
A2: Certain Model Year 2016-2021 Hyundai Tucson vehicles not equipped with Smart Cruise Control (“SCC”) and produced from May 19, 2015 through November 16, 2020 by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) in South Korea for sale in the U.S. market.
Approximately 471,678 model year 2016-2018 and model year 2020-2021 vehicles are being added to the 180,346 model year 2019-2021 vehicles involved in the original recall, bringing the total affected number of vehicles to 652,024*.
Q3: What is the safety concern?
A3: An electrical short in the ABS module could increase the risk of an engine compartment fire while parked or driving.
Q4: Have there been any accidents or injuries?
A4: To date in the U.S., Hyundai is aware of twelve (12) engine compartment fires related to this defect. Hyundai is aware of 9 fires in model year 2019 vehicles, 2 fires in 2020 model years and a single fire in a 2021 model. There are no related fires involving model year 2016-2018 vehicles in the U.S; however, ABS module fires have been confirmed in regional markets outside the U.S. for the affected 2016-2018 Tucson population.
Q5: What will be done during the recall service at the dealer?
A5: Customers can continue driving these vehicles; however Hyundai recommends parking these vehicles outside and away from structures until the recall remedy is completed. Hyundai plans to notify owners to bring their vehicles to the nearest Hyundai dealership for replacement of the ABS module fuse. For model year 2019-2021 affected vehicles, the Electronic Stability Control (“ESC”) software will require an update for use with the new fuse. The remedy procedure will be performed at no charge. Hyundai will provide reimbursement to owners for repairs according to the plan submitted to NHTSA on May 16, 2018.
Q6: When will owners be notified?
A6: Owners were mailed notification letters beginning in late February 2021.
Q7: Should customers park these vehicles outside until the recall repair is completed?
A7: Out of an abundance of caution, owners of these vehicles should park them outside until the recall repair is completed. If the ABS warning light is illuminated, the vehicle should not be driven and a local Hyundai dealer should be contacted. Customers should also disconnect the vehicle’s 12-volt battery and leave it disconnected while the vehicle is parked waiting for service. If needed, the customer will be provided a rental vehicle.
Q8: Why should customers park their vehicles outdoors?
A8: Customer safety is our top priority. After further review, it was determined that out of an abundance of caution customers should park the vehicles outside until the recall is completed.
|Key Contact Information|
|Dealer Support||Contact Information||Description|
|Parts ordering hotline|
|Techline||1‐800‐325‐6604||Vehicle Technical Support for Hyundai Dealer Technicians|
|Warranty HELPREP Line||1‐877‐446‐2922||Warranty Claim questions for Hyundai Dealers|
|Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center||PA@hmausa.com||Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center for Hyundai Dealers|
|Xtime Technical Support||Support@xtime.com
|Assistance with Car Care Scheduling:
|AutoLoop Technical Support||Support@autoloop.com
|Assistance with Car Care Scheduling:
|CDK Technical Support||https://serviceconnect.support.cdk.com/||Assistance with Car Care Scheduling:
|Customer Support||Contact Information||Description|
|Hyundai Customer Care Center (Recall / Campaign Questions)||1‐855‐671‐3059||Customer questions or concerns related to recall or service campaigns|
|Hyundai Recall / Campaign Website||www.hyundaiusa.com/recall||Updated information related to the specific recall or service campaign|
|Hyundai Customer Care Center (General Questions)||1‐800‐633‐5151||Customers general questions, non‐campaign related|
|Hyundai Roadside Assistance||1-800-243-7766||Hyundai Roadside Assistance|
|Key Reference Information|
|Campaign Central||Consolidated repository of recall and service campaign dealer best practices. Located on the service tab homepage in www.HyundaiDealer.com|
|Car Care Scheduling (Xtime) – Tutorials||www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service > Dealer Resources > Documents Library > Car Care Scheduling|
|Car Care Scheduling (Xtime) – Recall Appointment Notification||1. Log into Xtime
2. Under the menu at the top left, select ‘CONFIGURE’
3. Under the dealership tab, click “EMAIL COMMUNICATION”
4. Slide the toggle to “ADVANCED”
5. Populate as many e-mails as desired in the “PARTS DESK EMAIL FIELD”
|Parts – Campaign Parts Management (CPM)
|As applicable; www.HyundaiDealer.com > Parts > Documents Library > Campaign Parts Management|
|Service Rental Car (SRC) Program||SRC Documentation: www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab > Documents Library > Service Rental Car
TSD: www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab > SRC Fleet Mgmt Software
Insurance: www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab > SRC Insurance
|Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)||www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab > Hyundai Tech Info|
|Uncompleted Campaign VIN Listing||A listing of vehicles is located on WEBDCS> SERVICE tab> select UNCOMPLETED CAMPAIGN VIN LISTING
– Dealer Stock (New, SRC, CPO, etc.) and Retailed.
|Recall Campaign Website||www.hyundaiusa.com/recall|
|Updates To This Document||Date|
|Technical Service Bulletin||GROUP
|MODEL(S) Tucson (TL)|
2016-2021MY TUCSON (TL) ABS FUSE KIT INSTALLATION AND SOFTWARE UPDATE (RECALL CAMPAIGN 195)
This TSB supersedes TSB# 20-01-040H, expanding model year applicability and adding procedures / parts information for 2016-2018MY vehicles.
*** Dealer Stock and Retail Vehicles ***
Dealers must perform this Recall Campaign on all affected vehicles prior to customer retail delivery and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.
When a vehicle arrives at the service department, access Hyundai Motor America’s “Warranty Vehicle Information Screen (VIS)” via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.
Description: Certain 2016-2021MY Tucson (TL) vehicles may be equipped with Anti-lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules that over time could exhibit an electrical short. An electrical short in the ABS module could increase the risk of an engine compartment fire. This bulletin describes the procedure to install a fuse kit into the ABS module electrical circuit and if necessary, update the ABS/ESC software.
Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2016-2021MY Tucson (TL) vehicles.
|PART NAME||FIGURE/PART NUMBER||QTY.|
|Fuse Repair Kit||(1) U-Type Crimp Connector
(2) Heat Shrink Tubing
(3) Micro Fuses
(4) Cable Ties
(6) Red Lead Wire
(7) White Lead Wire
(Contains 25A Micro Fuses)
|For use with HECU P/Ns
58920-D3530 and 58920-D3550
(Contains 30A Micro Fuses)
|For use with HECU P/N
|Note: The HECU part number can be found on the label affixed to the HECU.|
|MODEL||OP. CODE||OPERATION||OP. TIME||CAUSAL PART NO.||NATURE CODE||CAUSE CODE|
|01D072R0||HECU FUSE WIRING REWORK (58920-D3550, 58920-D3100)||0.6||91KIT-
|01D072R1||HECU FUSE WIRING REWORK AND ESC UPDATE (58920-D3530)||0.8|
NOTE 1: Submit Claim on Campaign Claim Entry Screen
NOTE 2: If a part is found in need of replacement while performing Recall 195 and the affected part is still under warranty, submit a separate claim using the same Repair Order. If the affected part is out of warranty, submit a Prior Approval Request for goodwill consideration prior to performing the work.
ABS/ESC software update only applies to vehicles equipped with hydraulic unit assembly (HECU) part number 58920-D3530.
ABS Fuse Kit Service Procedure:
If the “ABS”, “ESC” or “Brake” indicator lamps are illuminated, refer to the appropriate section of the repair manual prior to installing the ABS Fuse Kit.
1. If applicable, record the customer’s radio preset stations and turn the ignition switch OFF.
2. Remove the air intake duct clips (A) and remove air intake duct (B).
3. Disconnect the battery negative (-) terminal (C), then disconnect the positive (+) terminal (D). Remove the battery mounting bracket (E), and remove the battery.
Battery Negative (-) Terminal Tightening Torque:
3.9 ~ 5.9 Nm (0.4 ~ 0.6 kgf.m, 2.9 ~ 4.3 lb-ft)
Battery Positive (+) Terminal Tightening Torque:
7.8 ~ 9.8 Nm (0.8 ~ 1.0 kgf.m, 5.8 ~ 7.2 lb-ft)
Battery Mounting Bolt Tightening Torque:
8.8 ~ 13.7 Nm (0.9 ~ 1.4 kgf.m, 6.5 ~ 10.1 lb-ft)
4. Loosen the air duct clamp (F), remove the air cleaner mounting bolt (G) and remove the air cleaner body.
Air Duct Clamp Tightening Torque:
2.9 ~ 4.9 N.m (0.3 ~ 0.5 kgf.m, 2.2 ~ 3.6 lb-ft)
Air Cleaner Bolt Tightening Torque:
7.8 ~ 9.8 N.m (0.8 ~ 1.0 kgf.m, 5.8 ~ 7.2 lb-ft)
If equipped with halogen headlamps, proceed to Step 6.
5. If equipped with LED headlamps, disconnect the headlamp connector (H) and disconnect the wire harness clip (I).
6. Disconnect the wire harness clip (J) from the ECM bracket and remove the three mounting fasteners (K).
Leave the ECM electrical connector connected and move the ECM away from the junction box.
ECM Fastener Tightening Torque:
9.8 ~ 11.8 N.m (1.0 ~ 1.2 kgf.m, 7.2 ~ 8.7 lb-ft)
7. Remove the junction box upper cover. Remove the junction box mounting nut and bolt (L).
Junction Box Nut Tightening Torque: 4.9 ~ 7.8 N.m (0.5 ~ 0.8 kgf.m, 3.6 ~ 5.8 lb-ft)
Junction Box Bolt Tightening Torque:
6.9 ~ 9.8 N.m (0.7 ~ 1.0 kgf.m, 5.0 ~ 7.2 lb-ft
8. Cut and remove the cable tie at the base of the lower junction box cover (M).
9. Gently pry the junction box body away from the vehicle body to release the junction box locating pin (N).
Release the six locking tabs around the outside of the junction box and separate the lower junction box cover (O) from the junction box.
10. Locate the 40A ABS1 and 40A ABS2 portion of the multifuse in the junction box (P).
11. Locate the red wire and white wire (Q) exiting the 40A ABS1 and 40A ABS2 multifuse on the underside of the junction box.
12. Cut the ABS1 and ABS2 fuse wires (red wire and white wire) approximately 50mm (~2”) from the underside of the junction box (R).
13. Wrap the ends of the white wire and red wire attached to the multifuse with black electrical tape (S).
14. Connect the supplied lead wires (T) to the un-capped ends of the red wire and white wire using the supplied u-type crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing.
Slide the heat shrink tubing over the wire prior to crimping the lead wire.
15. Heat the heat shrink tubing (U) using a heat gun.
Use caution when using the heat gun to avoid damaging the wiring.
16. Insert the red lead wire into the open space of the empty fuse holder (V) and the white lead wire into the adjacent open space (W).
Insert the lead wires with the terminal crimp facing upward (X). Be sure to insert until a click is heard and the terminals are secure.
17. Install the supplied micro fuses in the new fuse locations (Y).
HECU part number 58920-D3530 requires 25A micro fuses
HECU part number 58920-D3550 requires 25A micro fuses
HECU part number 58920-D3100 requires 30A micro fuses
18. Reattach the lower junction box cover to the junction box. Install the supplied cable tie in the same position as the cable tie that was previously removed (Z).
19. Attach the labels (AA) to the inside of the junction box upper cover and install the junction box cover.
20. Reassemble the vehicle in the reverse order of component removal.
21. Confirm the hydraulic unit assembly part number (BB).
If the Part Number is 58920-D3550 or 58920-D3100, software update is not required. Start the engine. Confirm the “ABS”, “ESC” and “Brake” indicator lamps are not illuminated, clear any incidental DTCs and reprogram the customer’s radio preset stations.
If the Part Number is 58920-D3530, proceed to the ABS/ESC software update procedure below.
ABS/ESC Software Update Procedure
This Service Procedure is performed using GDS-mobile. For update information and general precautions, please refer to TSB #15-GI-001.
Manual mode should only be performed when the Auto update fails.
If the auto update fails, turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds, then back ON again to reset the control unit before performing the manual update.
|628*||TL- ESC CONTROL LOGIC IMPROVEMENT|
* Use the latest event that appears in the ABS/ESC Auto Mode event list for the particular vehicle.
ROM ID Information Table:
|MODEL||ESC P/N||ROM ID|
|Tucson (TL)||58900-D3530||TL ESC 1.00 1.02 Y06GAF1E11-2-8730||TL ESC 1.00 1.04
|TL ESC 1.00 1.03 Y06GAF1F11-2-9520||TL ESC 1.00 1.04
|TL ESC 1.00 1.03
|TL ESC 1.00 1.04
|TL ESC 1.00 1.04 Y16GAH1D11-2-9217||TL ESC 1.00 1.05 Y16GAI1D11-2-A923|
Manual Mode Password Information Table:
|TL ESC 58900-D3530/630||3530|
|TL ESC 58900-D7530/630||7530|
|TL ESC 58900-D7560/660||7560|
1. Select ECU Upgrade.
2. Select ABS/ESC as the system to update.
3. Check the current version of the ABS/ESC ROM ID and compare it to the ROM ID Information Table listed above before attempting to update the ABS/ESC system.
4. Perform GDS software update. Refer to TSB 15-GI-001 for the tablet-based Mobile GDS ECU update procedures.
5. After the software has updated, check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes in the ALL menus and erase any DTCs. Reprogram the customer’s radio preset stations.
NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-543
Hyundai Recall Number: 195
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
This is an important Safety Recall.
- Please contact your nearest Hyundai dealer to schedule the repair as soon as possible.
- This repair will be performed at NO CHARGE to you.
- To locate your nearest Hyundai dealer and schedule your appointment please visit:
This notice applies to your Hyundai, VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dear <FirstName LastName,>
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Hyundai has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above. Hyundai is conducting a safety recall in the United States to address a condition with the Anti-lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules in certain model year 2016-2021 Hyundai Tucson vehicles produced by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) in South Korea for sale in the U.S. market.
What is the problem?
The subject vehicles are equipped with Anti-lock Brake System (“ABS”) modules that could corrode internally and cause an electrical short over time. An electrical short in the ABS module could increase the risk of an engine compartment fire.
What will Hyundai do?
Your Hyundai dealer will install a fuse kit into the ABS module electrical circuit and update the ABS software. This procedure will be performed at NO CHARGE to you.
What should you do?
Please contact your nearest Hyundai dealer to schedule the recall repair as soon as possible.
Owners should park their vehicles outside until the recall repair is completed. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated in your vehicle, you should seek service at your Hyundai dealer as soon as possible. The actual time required to perform the repair will take less than one hour, however your vehicle may be needed longer. Therefore, we recommend scheduling a service appointment to minimize inconvenience.
If you have other questions
If you require further assistance, you may contact the Hyundai Customer Care Center at 1-855-371-9460. If you believe that the dealer or
Hyundai has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hot Line at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to https://www.safercar.gov.
Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
Hyundai Motor America
If you are a vehicle lessor, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
If you paid for repairs related to this recall prior to receiving this notification letter, you may submit your reimbursement request electronically or obtain additional information at: www.HyundaiUSA.com/Campaign195 or 1-855-371-9460.
No longer own this vehicle?
Changes to your name, address, or if you no longer own this vehicle — Update your information online at: https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/myhyundai/us/en/contact-us/update-vehicle-ownership.html
You can easily connect to this web page by using your cell phone to point your camera (or QR code reader app) at the code below. Then select the link which will be displayed on your phone.
Importante Retiro del Mercado por Motivos de Seguridad — Si tiene preguntas llama 800-633-5151 y oprima “8”
RECALL 195 ATTACHMENT A (AMENDED)
CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS LEADING UP TO DEFECT DECISION
- July 2019
HMA received a report involving a 2019 Hyundai Tucson that allegedly caught fire while driving. The customer alleged a technician believed that the fire may have come from the ABS module. Hyundai was able to inspect the vehicle and recover the ABS module for further investigation by HMC and the supplier. Initial feedback from HMC and the supplier indicated the root cause could not be determined and it was possible that the fire was started by another source within the engine compartment. HMA initiated active monitoring of incoming claims on 2019-2021 Hyundai Tucson vehicles and 100% incident part recovery.
- July 2019 – December 2019
HMA continued active monitoring of new incidents and recovery of all incident parts for analysis. During this time, four (4) incident parts were collected and sent to HMC. HMC and Mando inspected all incident parts received but an approximate failure mechanism or root cause could not be determined.
- January 2020 – July 2020
HMA enlisted a third-party test laboratory to assist with analysis and testing of incident parts for the purposes of identifying an ABS module failure mechanism and relative root cause. During this time, nine (9) incident ABS modules were sent to the laboratory. Through disassembly and examination of internal components, the test laboratory observed evidence of an electrical resistance short caused by corrosion on the ABS module ECU’s printed circuit board (“PCB”). Spectrum analysis of the corrosion residue revealed traces of copper, silicon, and tin elements. The test laboratory deduced that the residue could have been created by a corrosive reaction between byproducts of the reflow solder, containing tin, and various copper and silicon-based elements on the PCB, resulting in an electrical short. Further replication testing confirmed propagation of an electrical fire caused by this short.
- May 2020 – August 2020
From May through August the test laboratory reviewed its findings with HMA’s NASO. Based on the information received, HMA’s NASO convened its North American Safety Decision Authority on August 28, 2020 and decided to conduct a safety recall of certain affected model year 2019-2021 vehicles in the U.S. market.
- September 2020 – November 2020
Hyundai continued its investigation into potential root causes by analyzing warranty part returns. Although unsuccessful in determining an exact root cause, HMC concluded that the risk of an electrical short resulting in a fire could be mitigated by limiting the operating current in the ABS module through a lower amperage fuse. Based on this information, Hyundai implemented a production running change in November 2020 to replace the current-limiting 40 amp fuse in the affected ABS modules with a 25-amp version.
- December 2020
Hyundai also continued to monitor incoming warranty claims during this time. No new incidents were reported in the U.S.; however, HMC was able to confirm claims received for Tucson vehicles not included in the involved production range of Recall 195 in foreign markets outside of the U.S. After confirming that these vehicles used the same ABS module as the recalled population, HMC shared the results of their investigation with HMA NASO.
Based on the information received, HMA’s NASO convened its North American Safety Decision Authority on December 22, 2020 and decided to expand Recall 195 to include all vehicles using the recalled ABS module equipped with a 40 amp fuse.
To date, Hyundai is aware of twelve (12) engine compartment fires related to this defect in the U.S. Hyundai is aware of 9 fires in model year 2019 vehicles, 2 fires in 2020 model years and a single fire in a 2021 model. There are no related fires involving model year 2016-2018 vehicles in the U.S; however, ABS module fires have been confirmed in regional markets outside the U.S. for the affected 2016-2018 Tucson population.
3 Affected Products
14 Associated Documents
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Chronology – AmendedRMISC-20V543-4082
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 2
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-4
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
Defect Notice 573 Report
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-1
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-2
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – 2019-2021MY & 2016-2018MY Tucson Anti-lock Brake System – “ABS” Module v4
Latest Recalls Documents
1 Associated Investigation
Non-crash Vehicle Fires
NHTSA ID: PE19003
Dated opened: March 29, 2019
In a letter dated Jun 11, 2018, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to initiate a safety defect investigation into non-collision related fires on model year (MY) 2011-2014 Kia Optima and Sorento, and Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe vehicles. In a letter dated July 24, 2018, CAS requested that MY 2010-2015 Kia Soul vehicles be added to the petition. CAS stated that there is a higher number of complaints to NHTSA regarding non-crash fires on these vehicles compared to other similar vehicles. The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) had already opened a Recall Query (RQ17-004) on all Hyundai vehicles equipped with Theta II engines for engine failures that may cause stalling and fires. The query covers most of the petition subject Sonata and Santa Fe vehicles.
On August 21, 2018, ODI opened a Defect Petition (DP18-003) to evaluate whether to grant or deny the CAS petition. ODI sent an Information Request letter to Hyundai (September 2018) requesting information on all engine and non-engine related fires in the petition Hyundai vehicles. ODI performed extensive analysis on the information obtained from Hyundai. During the DP18-003 analysis, Hyundai initiated three additional safety recalls related to engine compartment fires on certain petitioned and non-petitioned vehicles, (nearly 240,000 total vehicles: Recalls 18V-934, 19V-063, and 19V-204). In addition to engine compartment fires, ODI has received allegations of vehicle fires affecting other components, including taillight housings, taillight wire harnesses, and/or light bulbs. Based on ODI’s review of the applicable materials, including responses to Information Requests sent to multiple manufacturers, Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQ), and Early Warning Data, NHTSA has decided to grant the petition.
The petition is hereby granted. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of alleged defects relating to non-collision vehicle fires in the 2011-2014 Sonata and 2011-2014 Santa Fe. While prior recalls of vehicles covered by this PE have primarily related to engine fires, NHTSA’s Preliminary Evaluation is not limited to engine components and may cover additional vehicle systems or components as well.
Attached is a list of the reference numbers for the 160 VOQs cited above.
- 🔧【PLUG AND PLAY - EASY TO USE】 : It only takes 3 steps to connect to the car for diagnosis without cumbersome operations. The latest FX2000 is equipped with a one-key diagnosis function, which can automatically identify the model and year of your car, and automatically diagnose the car. Even beginners can use it to read the data to find out what the fault codes mean, how serious the fault is and what options there are to fix it before you go to the repair shop.
- 🚗【FULL OBD-LEVEL DIAGNOSTICS】: Quickly determines the cause of engine system faults, reads current, permanent and pending codes. After the repair, clears the codes and turns off the warning light. In addition, the FX2000 also displays important OBD II advanced data such as fuel, live data and other manufacturer-specific parameters in real time to ensure that the engine ECU is operating correctly and safely, saving vehicle owners a lot of time and money in maintenance.
- 🚙【TRANSMISSION FAULT DIAGNOSTIC】: When noises start to come from the transmission, your car might have transmission problems. This transmission scanner will read fault codes, display live transmission system data (fluid temperature, fluid pump, clutch actuation, pressure, etc.), and ensures transmission performance is optimal for vehicle speed and load. It provides detailed TCM data of the vehicle, so you can quickly and accurately find existing or potential problems.
- 🚐【FIND OUT SRS WRONG】: It is able to read and clear fault codes in the SRS (airbag) and turn off the warning light to make sure the system is working correctly and safely. This diagnostic tool also displays a live graphical data stream of the supplemental restraint system (air bag), which allows you to analyze and verify that the air bag system is working properly.
- 🚌【ABS OBD2 SCANNER】:The FX2000 can read and clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) data stream transmitted from the ABS. It can verify the operating conditions of the ABS through a series of bi-directional tests and turn off the warning light. By retrieving the ABS code data, it can check the various brake components and accurately diagnose problems.
- 🎁🎁🎁 WONDERFUL FATHERS DAY GIFTS CHOICE!!!
- 🥇【NO.1 ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】Did you feel the brake pedal was slowly sinking to floor or the pedal was loose than the new vehicle? This abs brake auto bleed scan tool will bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves to get a high & tight brake pedal. No need to cost hundreds of service fees to own a foxwell obd2 scanner with abs auto bleed. 👉Note: Coverage will be vary on car conditions, to make sure this abs auto bleeder will run smoothly,please confirm the coverage BEFORE purchase.
- 🏆【TOP ABS SRS OBD2 SCANNER for CAR】1️⃣ABS SRS Airbag Scan Tool: Emergency code diagnosis for ABS SRS Airbag modules;2️⃣ABS Airbag Light & Sensor Reset Tool: Reset & sensor calibrate after repairing the faults;3️⃣Bidirectional Scan Tool: Activate & command ABS/SRS/Airbag components;4️⃣Powerful OBD2 Scanner: Covers all obd2 functions for 12v vehicles after 1996. 👉TIPS: The abs scanner can NOT clear airbag crash data/collision data even replace the new airbag. NOT support programming/coding.
- 🚦【POWERFUL FUNCTION for ABS SRS AIRBAG】 No auto scanner less than $400 in the market can do these. If you feel headache on choosing abs srs scan tool with code read & depth functions, do not miss this abs scanner airbag code reader. This car scanner will pin-point the problem down and tell you what the possible issues, no need to test one by one.It also initialize/reset/calibrate the new sensor/module after repairing.Tips: Code erase/delete/reset will perform after car faults repaired.
- 👍【Cost Less than $150 to Own a ABS SRS BIDIRECTIONAL SCAN TOOL】It’s so valuable to own one with active test feature that never can not find on similar abs scanner. This abs code reader scan tool allows you to control the ABS/Airbag system and components to test hidden issues, including Auto Bleed Test/ Setup SDM Serial Number/ ABS Manual Control Tests/ ABS Motor Test/ ABS Version Test/ Actuator Tests, etc. When you exit the test, the system/component returns to normal operation.
- 🔔【Easy to Use--Work out of box】+【FOXWELL 2023 New Version】 FOXWELL NT604 Elite scan tool is the 2023 new version from FOXWELL, which is designed for those car owners who want to figure out the cause issue before fixing the car problem via scanning the most common systems like abs srs engine and transmission.The NT604 Elite diagnostic tool comes with latest software, which can be used out of box. No need to waste time to download the software first.
- 🍎【Affordable】+【Reliable Car Health Monitor】 Will you be confused what happen when the warning light of abs/srs/transmission/check engine flashes? Instead of taking your cars to dealership, this foxwell scanner will help you do a thorough scanning and detection for your lovely cars and pinpoint the problem for you, which saves time and money for you. It will t-urn off the warning light for you after you fix the problem, making you to know more about your cars and do your own repair.
- 🥑【2 in 1 Diagnostic Scanner】Compared with those auto scanners (50-100 USD), NT604 Elite code scanner not only includes their OBDII diagnosis but also it can be an abs/srs scanner, transmission and check engine code reader. When it’s an odb2 scanner, you can use it to check if your car is ready for annual test through I/M readiness menu. In addition, live data stream, built-in DTC library, data play back and print, all these features are a big plus for it.
- 🍓【Fantastic AUTOVIN】+【No extra software fee】Through the AUTOVIN menu, this NT604 Elite car scanner allows you to get your V-IN and vehicle info rapidly, no need to take time to find your V-IN and input one by one. What's more, the NT604 Elite abs srs scanner supports 60+ car makes from worldwide (America/Asia/Europe). You don’t need to pay extra software fee.
- 🥝【Solid protective case KO plastic carrying bag】+ 【Lifetime update】Almost all same price-level obd scanner diagnostic tool only offers plastic bag to hold on the scanner.However, NT604 Elite automotive scanner is equipped with solid protective case, preventing your obd2 scanner from damage. Then you don’t need to pay extra money to buy a solid toolbox.
- 🎁 Conact Seller to Get Free Gift 🎁 Same Function as LAUNCH CRP123E 🎁 Fast Delivery by Amazon🎁 Lifetime Free Update🎁 5 YEARS Warranty
- [Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Tool]----The crp123 obd2 scanner is perfect balance of power and affordability, providing the ability to view preset, or user defined, live data streams for ENGINE, AT, ABS and SRS data, the ability to graph, record, replay and print data, read and resets codes for engine/abs/srs/transmission system.
- [Full OBDII Test Code Reader]----LAUNCH CRP123 scan tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII standard to ensure complete, accurate, system diagnosis. Read and Clear DTCs, do smog tests , I/M readiness and O2 sensor tests, Mode 06 EVAP system test, Mode 08 on-board test component test. And OBDII Code lookup tool and acronym database to assist and speed diagnosis and repair time.
- [Live Data Stream + Advance OBDII Scanner + Lifetime Free Update]---- Launch crp123 scanner support for Generic OBDII Codes (P0, P2, P3 and U0); manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3 and U1); pending codes; freeze frame data; monitor and I/M readiness; live PCM stream data; graphing functionality for up to four (4) live data streams; clears DTC codes and turns off the MIL; resets monitors; provides Data Link Connector (DLC) location hints.
- [Extensive Vehicle Coverage + 9 Languages]----The LAUNCH CRP123 reads data from ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ABS and SRS systems from Asian, US and European manufacturers. Coverage includes Suzuki, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, Isuzu, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Benz, BMW, VW, Opel, Volvo, Fiat, Land Rover, Seat, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar and many others. Support 9 different languages.
- 【ABS & SRS Diagnoses + Active Test for ABS SRS】LAUNCH CR629 scan tool can do advanced Bidirectional Control (active test), read vehicle version information, read/clear DTCs, and read graphic live data stream for ABS SRS modules. Utilizing the active test can detect the hidden problems when you see the related warning light of ABS SRS systems. 📌NOTE: This launch obd2 scanner currently supports ACTIVE TEST for 20 car brands. Please contact us to check the compatibility before purchase.
- 【3 Reset Services】This automotive scanner LAUNCH CR629 provides 3 reset services: Oil reset, SAS reset and BMS Reset, helping to keep your car running smoothly. ➤Oil Reset: To reset the oil life each time you have the oil and oil filter changed. ➤SAS Reset: To perform a calibration of the steering angle sensor following a wheel alignment or installation of a suspension or steering part. ➤BMS Reset. 📌Please contact us to check the vehicle compatibility for reset services before purchase.
- 【OBD2 Full Functions + Support 10000+ Vehicle】 Come with 10 modes of OBD2 tests (including Read/Clear codes, View Freeze Frame Data, O2 Sensor Test, Evap Test, etc.), LAUNCH CR629 obd2 scanner tells you the exact problem behind the check engine warning light, solve emission issues, and help pass smog test for most post-1996 OBD2/CAN vehicles. This ABS SRS scan tool supports ABS & SRS diagnoses for 42 car brands. 22 Car brands for BMS reset, 53 brands for oil reset, and 41 brands for SAS reset.
- 【User-friendly + Live Data Stream】 LAUNCH CR629 car code reader is specially designed with the following features ➤3.5 inch large LCD color display. ➤3 hot keys（F1/F2/F3）to access to the target interface directly with ONE CLICK. ➤DTC Lookup to identify a code’s meaning directly. No google research needed! ➤PC Printing to print the information out after PC connection. ➤Review data records historical DTCs, data streams and freeze frame data, which is convenient to view at any time.
- 【5 Years Warranty + Lifetime Free Update+ 8 Languages】 This original Launch OBD2 scanner CR629 is backed up by Launch official after-sale services with 5-year warranty, available 60-days return & replacement policy. This car code scanner supports English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Italian. If you have any problem, you can contact us freely via customer service email or message us on Amazon.
- 🚘【ABS & SRS SYSTEMS DIAGNOSES FREE】Thinkcar SF100 OBD2 Scanner supports 2 main system diagnostics, including Air Bag and ABS system. ✔ Anti-Brake System Diagnosis (ABS): Retrieve ABS codes to tell you where the problem is, then you can fix it. ✔ Airbag System Diagnosis (SRS): A safety restraint system, is made up of impact sensors, a control module, and the airbags themselves. This diagnostic device can detect every electronic parameter to check its health status.
- 🚗【FULL 10 OBDII DIAGNOSIS FREE】This check engine code reader supports 10 modes of OBDII diagnostic functions-Read codes, Erase codes, On-board monitor test, I/M readiness, Vehicle live data, Freeze frame data, Auto VIN information, O2 Monitor Test, EVAP Monitor Test, DTCs Lookup. It helpful for quick analysis and diagnosis, providing solutions, saving time and money.
- 👍【EPB & OIL RESET FREE】Optional Paid Subscription Service Resets: Throttle Matching, Battery Matching,ABS Bleeding,EPB Reset,DPF Regeneration,TPMS Reset(NOT TPMS programming),Airbag Reset,Gear Learn, Etc. $29.95/one/ year. 👉 NOTE: The reset function is not applicable to all vehicles. Please send us the VIN number to check compatibility before purchasing.
- 🚗【Various vehicle coverage + 8 languages】Thinkcar ThinkScan SF100 car scanner diagnostic car diagnostic tool supports vehicles under the OBD2 agreement after 1996, covering a wide range of vehicles in Asia, Europe and the United States, with a wide coverage. 💜SUPPORT 8 LANGUAGES💜： English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian, Japanese, German, Italian.
- ✅【 SUPPORT DIAGNOSIS REPORT 】This code reader can easily generate vehicle health diagnosis report, scan the QR code to print the diagnosis report. Simple and convenient, save time and efficiency for your car diagnosis.
- 🎁【Free TPMS Activation Tool】: Just click "Extra Savings" under price and add both to your cart to get a FREE TPMS Activation Tool which works for GM cars. Limited quantity. First come, First served. 👍We are proud to tell that LAUNCH CRP129E has been recommended as the "Best Overall OBD2 scanner" by Amazon editors, and also highly recommended by YouTube machinists. Lifetime Free WiFi Upgrade. 5 Years Warranty. Any problem, please reach us via 📩 email@example.com.
- 🔥【2023 Elite Version, Add More Functions,No Extra Software Fee】Update version of CRP123/CRP123E, LAUNCH CRP129E obd2 scanner with 4 systems diagnostic, 8 reset service, fast android 7.0 OS, 5”HD 720P touchscreen, 16G RAM, 6100mAh battery, battery voltage test,Auto VIN, full obd2 functions,DTC library,live data graphing, record & playback, and automatic generate diagnostic health report, printable via email shareing. One-Click WiFi Update makes you can use the newest software all time for free.
- 👍【4 Systems Diagnostic Tool】+【Full OBDII Functions】With this scanner automotriz, even beginners can use it to read the fault codes of Engine/ABS/Airbag/Transmission, find the right troubleshooting procedure. After repairing, it can even clear the fault code and turn off the annoying warning light. Diagnose with full 10 OBD2 test modes to fix most of emission issues, keep your engine in good condition and avoid being fined before the annual car inspection.
- 👍【8 Reset Service Car Scanner】+【Battery Voltage Test】📢From Oct. 2022, LAUNCH CRP129E scan tool added 3 service. 8 Reset service: Oil Reset,TPMS Reset,Brake Reset,Throttle Adaptation,Steering Angle Calibration,Injector Coding, Battery Registration to maintain your vehicle system safely and efficiently. Graphing the battery voltage to real-time monitoring, determine battery's health status, help you know the possible battery and the charging system problems in advance.
- 📢【Lifetime Free WiFi Updates + Work on 57 Vehicle Brands + 10 Languages Supported】LAUNCH CRP129E diagnostic scan tool works on most vehicles after 1996 compliant with OBD2 protocols, more than 57 brands and over 10000+ vehicle models. 10 Languages supported: English, French, Spanish, German, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Traditional Chinese, Russian. No IP Limited. One-click lifetime free wifi update keep you always enjoy the newest software and newly added functions.
- 👍[Best Choice for DIYers & Home Mechanics] With all 10 OBDII test modes, the Autel scanner MaxiLink ML629 can easily find out the cause of the CEL and turn off the light after certain repairs. Unlike other Check Engine Light code reader, this OBD2 scanner can diagnose the Engine/Transmission/ABS/SRS systems and turn off the 4-system related warning lights, improving driving safety. It also features 4-in-1 Graph Live Data, DTC Lookup, free lifetime update, etc.
- 👍[4 Systems ECM/TCM/ABS/SRS Diagnoses] Upgraded from Autel ML519/AL619/ML619, this car diagnostic tool can get quick access to the ABS/SRS/Engine/Transmission systems and read/clear codes from the systems. Thus, it can quickly figure out the system problems, and make sure the 4 systems work correctly & safely. The ABS scanner supports most vehicles after 1996 from the USA, Asia, & Europe. Check the compatibility first with car VIN before purchase.
- 👍[10 Test Modes of OBDII Functions] As a professional OBD2 scanner for turning off the CEL when it comes on, Autel Scanner ML629 can also accurately determine the possible causes by reading codes/live data/freeze frame/vehicle information, O2 sensor test, I/M readiness, on-board monitor test, and EVAP system leak test. Based on Auto VIN technology, this OBD2 diagnostic tool ML629 can automatically identify the car and quickly retrieve the car’s VIN.
- 👍[Built-in DTC Library with 10000+ DTCs] Designed with a built-in DTC library, this Autel OB2 scanner ML629 allows you to look up the definition of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) anytime. No need Google search. After you read codes, the definition is directly displayed with the DTCs, so you know what the problem is and may be able to fix it yourself quickly. Also,10000+ DTC definitions are stored in and updated for more.
- 👍[Graph Live Data & Data Playback & Report Print] The Autel obd2 scanner ML629 allows you to view the live data/PID (for some models) of multiple sensors and components in text & graph modes to quickly pinpoint bad parts or faults. The Freeze Frame Data aids you to do fast & accurate diagnostics and repairs by recording the parameters when the fault occurs. Meantime, the code reader ML629 also can play back the data recorded or print it out via PC to share it with others.
- 🚩2023 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 【Check Engine Light】The obd2 scanner 6100P shows fault codes with DTC Severity and quickly reveals the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings(MIL). One-press hot key help to check engine issue. Live data displays plenty of vehicle data present, such as engine coolant temperature, fuel injector pulse width(fuel trim), RPM, spark timing, etc.
- 【ABS & SRS & Transmission 】In addition to related OBD II codes,The abs srs obd2 scanner works well on reading/erasing ABS & SRS and Transmission codes for popular US Car Makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GM, etc. when the Traction light is constantly on. The ability to really detect where the problem is concerning brakes and airbags enables you to make sure all safety measures in place before putting yourself in harm's way.
- 【Oil Light Reset+Oil Level/Oil Life status】it easy to view the procedures or send command for resetting oil maintenance or resetting the mileage or driving time to zero after the maintenance for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles. This abs code reader can also monitor your oil level and oil life status.
- 【Battery Test & Alternator Test】The Innova code reader can be used to check the performance of the battery or alternator for your hybrid, car, SUV, minivan, or light truck diesel as well. During rough winters and scorching summers, this diagnostic tool will be invaluable when trying to root out start-up issues.
- 【Code Severity Levels】With Code Severity Levels function of This Innova Scan Tool, you can quickly identify if your vehicle needs an immediate fix or if it can wait until you get home to fix it yourself,You don't need to worry about the warning lights on again. And we are glad to tell that Innova 6100P has been selected to "Amazon's Highly recommended products" as "Highly rated OBDII Scanners" 🙂
Last update on 2023-05-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.