If the hood is not securely closed or the primary latch is inadvertently released and the secondary latch is not engaged, the hood could unexpectedly open while driving, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the secondary latch cable, free of charge.
Owner’s may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-671-3059.
Hyundai’s number for the recall is 163.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Important Recall 163 Information
Date: July 12, 2017
Attn: Dealer Principal/General Manager/Service Manager/Parts Manager
***IMPORTANT Dealer Stock and Retail Vehicles***
As required by federal law, dealers must not deliver new vehicles for sale or for lease to customers until all open recalls have been performed. Dealers must also perform all open recalls on used vehicles, demo and rental vehicles prior to placing them into customer use and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.
Hyundai has launched a safety recall in the United States to replace the secondary latch cable on:
- Certain Model Year 2013 through 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport vehicles
- Certain Model Year 2013 through 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles
The subject vehicles are equipped with a secondary hood latch. The cable between the actuating lever for the secondary hood latch and the secondary latch may become corroded over time and cause the secondary latch to remain in the open position when the hood is closed. If the hood is not securely closed or the primary hood latch is released while driving, the hood may open. The hood will not open if the primary latch is securely latched.
- An initial shipment of parts will begin shipping the week of 07/10/2017 to all dealers.
- Additional parts can be ordered through the normal parts ordering process in WebDCS after the initial shipment. Refer to the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #17-01-050 for additional parts details.
- The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #17-01-050 was published 07/12/17, and describes the service procedure to replace the secondary latch cable.
- Affected VINs are posted on WebDCS> Service Tab> Uncompleted Campaign VIN Listing –Dealer Stock and Retailed. Dealers may use owner information provided for the purpose of conducting and performing this recall campaign, and for no other purpose.
- Refer to the below Customer FAQ section.
Hyundai will notify all owners of the vehicles described above to return their vehicles to their Hyundai dealers for repair. Customer notification letters of the recall are scheduled to be mailed beginning in mid-July, 2017. In the meantime, customers should insure their hood is securely latched before driving their vehicle.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this important safety matter and continued commitment to taking care of Hyundai customers.
Hyundai Motor America
Q1: What is the issue?
A1: The subject vehicles are equipped with a secondary hood latch. The cable between the actuating lever for the secondary hood latch and the secondary latch may become corroded over time and cause the secondary latch to remain in the open position when the hood is closed. If the hood is not securely closed or the primary hood latch is released while driving, the hood may open and obscure the driver’s vision, increasing the risk of a crash.
If the hood is properly closed and is not opened while driving, there is no safety risk.
Q2: What will be done during the recall service at the dealer?
Q3: Should customers have their Santa Fe inspected at their local dealer to make sure the cars are safe?
A3: Yes. As always, customers should ensure their hood is securely latched before driving their vehicle. Customers will receive written notification of the recall by first class mail.
Q4: When will owners be notified?
A4: Owners will be mailed notification letters beginning in mid-July, 2017.
Q5: Can the recall service be performed now? (prior to receiving notice)
A5: Customers that are currently experiencing a concern related to this recall should contact their Hyundai dealer to schedule a service appointment. As always, customers should ensure their hood is securely latched before driving their vehicle.
|Key Contact Information|
|Dealer Support||Contact Information||Description|
|Parts||[email protected] 1-800-545-4515||Parts ordering hotline|
|Techline||1‐800‐325‐6604||Vehicle Technical Support for Hyundai Dealer Technicians|
|Warranty HELPREP Line||1‐877‐446‐2922||Warranty Claim questions for Hyundai Dealers|
|Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center||1‐844-371-3808||Warranty Prior Approval (PA) Center for Hyundai Dealers|
|Xtime Technical Support||[email protected] 1‐866‐984‐6355||Assistance with Car Care Scheduling:
• Appointment / Shop Capacity Management /
Campaign Integration / Operation Codes
|Customer Support||Contact Information||Description|
|Hyundai Customer Care Center (Recall / Campaign Questions)||1‐855‐671‐3059||Customer questions or concerns related to recall or service campaigns|
|Hyundai Recall / Campaign Website||www.hyundaiusa.com/campaign163||Updated information related to the specific recall or service campaign|
|Hyundai Customer Care Center (General Questions)||1‐800‐633‐5151||Customers general questions, non–campaign related|
|Hyundai Roadside Assistance||1-800-243-7766||Hyundai Roadside Assistance|
|Key Reference Information|
|Campaign Central||Consolidated repository of recall and service campaign info. Located on the service tab homepage in www.HyundaiDealer.com|
|Car Care Scheduling (Xtime) – Tutorials||www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service > Dealer Resources > Documents Library > Car Care Scheduling|
|Car Care Scheduling (Xtime) – Recall Appointment Notification||1. Log into Xtime
2. Under the menu at the top left, select ‘CONFIGURE’
3. Under the dealership tab, click “EMAIL COMMUNICATION”
4. Slide the toggle to “ADVANCED”
5. Populate as many e-mails as desired in the “PARTS DESK EMAIL FIELD”
|Parts – Campaign Parts Management (CPM) Procedure||As applicable; www.HyundaiDealer.com > Parts > Documents Library > Campaign Parts Management|
|Service Rental Car (SRC) Program||www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab|
|Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)||www.HyundaiDealer.com > Service tab > Hyundai Tech Info|
|Uncompleted Campaign VIN Listing||A listing of vehicles is located on WEBDCS> SERVICE tab> select
UNCOMPLETED CAMPAIGN VIN LISTING
– Dealer Stock and Retailed.
|Recall Campaign Website||www.hyundaiusa.com/recall www.hyundaiusa.com/campaign163|
|Technical Service Bulletin||GROUP
Santa Fe (NC)
Santa Fe Sport (AN)
2013-2017 SANTA FE (NC) AND SANTA FE SPORT (AN) SECONDARY HOOD LATCH CABLE REPLACEMENT (RECALL CAMPAIGN 163)
|Dealers must perform this Recall Campaign on all affected vehicles prior to customer retail delivery and whenever an affected vehicle is in the shop for any maintenance or repair.
When a vehicle arrives at the service department, access Hyundai Motor America’s “Warranty Vehicle Information” screen via WEBDCS to identify open Campaigns.
Description: This bulletin describes the procedure to replace the secondary hood latch cable on certain 2013-2017 MY Santa Fe (NC) and Santa Fe Sport (AN) vehicles. The secondary hood latch cable may become corroded over time and cause the latch to remain in the open position when the hood is closed. If the hood is not securely closed or the primary hood latch is released while driving, the hood may open and obscure the driver’s vision, increasing the risk of a crash. The hood will not open if the primary latch is securely latched.
Applicable Vehicles: Certain 2013-2017 MY Santa Fe (NC, vehicles beginning with KM8) vehicles produced from 12/18/2012 – 7/02/2016 and certain 2013-2017 MY Santa Fe Sport (AN, vehicles beginning with 5XY) vehicles produced from 7/12/2012 – 6/27/2016.
|PART NAME||PART NUMBER||QTY||FIGURE|
|MODEL||OP. CODE||OPERATION||OP. TIME||CASUAL PART NO.||NATURE CODE||CAUSAL CODE|
|Santa Fe (NC), Santa Fe Sport (AN)||71CG10R0||Hood Upper
NOTE 1: Submit Claim on Campaign Claim Entry Screen
NOTE 2: If a part is found in need of replacement while performing Recall 163 and the affected part is still under warranty, submit a separate claim using the same Repair Order. If the affected part is out of warranty, submit a Prior Approval Request for goodwill consideration prior to performing the work.
- Open the hood.
|Plastic trim removal tools may deform during the cable replacement process. If a metal trim removal tool is used, the tool should be wrapped with tape to prevent scratching the hood.|
- Remove the latch cable mounting clip (A). Use care not to scratch the hood.
- Disconnect the upper latch cable end from the release handle body by carefully pushing the latch cable (B) to the left.
- Rotate the cable upward, and then push the cable (C) to left to remove it from the release handle.
- Remove the lower latch cable end (D) from the latch hook body by carefully pushing the cable to the right.
- Pull the lower latch cable rod (E) to the right and remove it from the latch hook.
- Install the new latch cable in the reverse order of the removal process.
- Confirm proper operation of the secondary hood latch while opening and closing the hood. Ensure the secondary hood latch keeps the hood from opening unless the secondary hood latch release is activated.